BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a used rear U-joint in my hand with unknown miles. I have 2 U-joints, one from the extra rear drive I bought from Ebay and had rebuilt and the one still on my bike As one member described in a past post, it's a "little notchy".

Assuming that I will find the same on my '99 LT with 47K when I get it off what do the members recommend?

Rebuild it if possible (pressed and set bearing caps and the parts?), $700 for a new one (have to buy the whole drive shaft), search for a used one with low miles, (not much luck so far) or put this one back in?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I know the least preferred option of $700 would get the job done.

PM me if you have a low mileage LT drive shaft to sell that's not "notchy".

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw one on ebay

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Hi Don,
While those U-joints have been known to fail, most of them are just fine. It would be very unusual for you to have two bad ones.

I haven't heard the term "notchy" applied to the U-joint, not to say it hasn't been, but commonly the term notchy is used to describe how the pivot bearings feel after they have worn; the pivot bearings are the two small bearing pressed into the final drive housing and serve to couple the FD housing to the swingarm housing.

If you really do need a FD input pinion U-joint, keep asking here on this site. There must be lots of them kicking around because very often when someone gets a replacement FD they don't need the U-joint.

HTH

av8trto said:
I have a used rear U-joint in my hand with unknown miles. I have 2 U-joints, one from the extra rear drive I bought from Ebay and had rebuilt and the one still on my bike As one member described in a past post, it's a "little notchy".

Assuming that I will find the same on my '99 LT with 47K when I get it off what do the members recommend?

Rebuild it if possible (pressed and set bearing caps and the parts?), $700 for a new one (have to buy the whole drive shaft), search for a used one with low miles, (not much luck so far) or put this one back in?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I know the least preferred option of $700 would get the job done.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
av8trto said:

Just curious... what makes you think that your '99 has a bad U-joint? I believe Curtis is on the right thought process here. Take the rear drive off and inspect before jumping to conclusions. If it is the miles you are worried about relax... Some of us have 4 times the miles on our original u-joints... Just ride it!

Let us know what you find...

:)

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Before you go to that extreme hit me up... I have a spare one... Shipping (R/T) or $100 if you end up keeping it... Try before you buy! :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Once you sort it all out I would be interested in the bad u-joint. Would like to make a jig for setting the backlash on rear drives with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts