BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering since I am new to the forum and new to the LT bike. I have 99 LT. When I purchased the bike, the seller gave me a new Metzler Marathon tire for the back. I did not notice that the new tire size was a 140/70 VB 17 instead of the size tire on the bike being 160/70. First, I know this affects the width of the tire but I did not know if there was a reason he chose this tire and if it could be used. Secondly, could this tire be used or must I adhere to the 160/70 tire size for safety. I am a one up rider with the top bag removed. I am not sure if this makes a difference with tires or not. Please advise if I can use or do I need to change the tire for the factory size? Thanks everyone for the help previously. This forum is a super group of people. :)

John

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
John... For safety you must use the size specified in the manual. The size and weight characteristics and the geometry of the tire will change the way the bike handles normally and in emergency maneuvers. Bottom line is the money you save using that tire is probably not worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Just remember if it's free, that's probably what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
You cannot compromise with tires!!!
You have to use 160/70 for the rear. Try selling your 140/70 to someone who can use it on a different bike and get some money for it.
Life is precious!;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
zippy_gg said:
You cannot compromise with tires!!!
You have to use 160/70 for the rear. Try selling your 140/70 to someone who can use it on a different bike and get some money for it.
Life is precious!;)
This is extremely true!!!

Geo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys.

I will sell it to someone who can use the tire. I agree with safety first.

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
You might try the dealer first. If it's brand new (with stickers and such still on it) he might at least give you some money towards the new tire.

Edit: Or he'll back up behind an insurance/product liablity issue, and sell you a new tire anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts