BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to this forum and I just purchased a 1999 K1200LT Icon with only 9,700 miles on it. In case some of you were wondering...Yes, I have tipped it at least 3x! ;) ;)

Anyway, I had my girlfriend on the back for a ride today. Before my ride, I turned the adjustment knob for the rear suspension to just about the half way mark - there was nothing in the trunks. After the ride, I was checking the rear tire pressure and noticed the tire had been rubbing on what looked like the inside of the rear arm. The rub stripe was about 3/4" wide and on the edge of the tread. :confused: These are Dunlops, and I suppose they are the correct ones for the bike. My pressure in the rear was 46psi.

Do I need a hub spacer or something? There is very little clearance between the tire and the arm. There is no side play in the hub and everything seems to be running smooth. Do I need to have a firmer adjustment - like all the way to the maximum setting, for a pillion?

Thanks for the advice!

-Larry

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
You've either got the wrong size tire/load rated tire or a bulge in the sidewall - both potentially serious problems. Check out the technical button on the top of the page and the click FAQ's for tire info. Personally I will not consider any tires except Metzler. The Dunlops are not well liked.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Dunlops were notorious for rubbing on the swingarm. In many cases, shims were required to run Dunlop tires without rubbing. I think the D205s were the Dunlop that was specified for the LT (someone can correct me if I am incorrect).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The model / sizes are as follows:

Front: Dunlop D205P 120/70B17
Rear: Dunlop D205 160/70B17

The rubbing only appeared after my ride with my GF today. It had not been there when I rode by myself.

How much are the Metzler's and where can I get them?

Thanks!

-Larry

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:cool: One other thing....

These tires look like they have quite a few miles left on them. If I can keep them, where would I get a shim for the rear wheel?

Thanks!

-Larry

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
There is already one steel spacer plate between the wheel and final drive hub, but it is 2MM thick. I remember reading that the one BMW used for the Dunlops in '99/early '00 when Dunlops were factory supplied was 3MM thick.

It is not listed in ETK, so a dealer that remembers and has service bulletins that far back may be able to look it up and order one.

Or, you could just get another 2MM spacer, part number 36311451791, and see if that is enough.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm also too lazy to do a search, but trying to recall ancient posts: the spacers come in two thicknesses, and I think to achieve the correct spacing for the Dunlops you use one of each size? And everyone has reported that it starts to rub only after the tire starts to wear in...the proifle gets fatter when the tread area wears and becomes more pliant. And you CAN add some clearance by grinding (well, power-sanding) away at the swingarm then repainting or powdercoating it (I added clearance that way but I don't use Dunlops)...so I guess your tire just marked the most critical spot for you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback! I am sure this topic gets beat up regularly!

I called Cliff's BMW in Danbury, and the Service tech told me that he reccommends the ME880 as a replacement for my 99LT. When I recounted some of the 'slippery when wet stories' I have read on here, he told me that he hears just the opposite. :confused:

Also, he heard about the spacer issue, but did not have any official offset advice to resolve my problem with the Dunlop. I believe that the heavier weight of a pillion and luggage may cause the tire to ''fatten up" as it is ridden. This then causes the rubbing. I have yet to see the rubbing continue when I ride by myself. :confused:

I know ALL tires are slippery in the rain...but some are more than others. I don't 'plan' to ride in the rain, but you never know when you are caught out in a storm. I just don't need anymore handling variables on such a big bike. It's bad enough she wants to tip when I do slow speed turns.... :cool:

Thanks!

-Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts