BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a new rear tire Metz M 880 160/70x17 same as I've always used and noticed this morning after riding to work that it's rubbing on the swing are. about a half inch of wear on the tread surface on the right side of the tire.........

little history I just got the bike back together from a clutch plate change , but would think that would have anything to do with it. as the tire mounts to the swing arm

any idea what might be causing this?

thanks for your help in advance
mark

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
If the rear wheel was removed for any reason and the proper spacer was not replaced it could cause the problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks , but the spacer is in palce .........

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Did you use the proper tq sequence in putting the wheel back on?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep.......I've got 176k miles on this bike .......I put the tire on the same way I've done it in the past .......thats what is weird .....unless some how the tire is over size .....inflated to 50 psi like alway....

thanks for your reply
mark

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Does the ME880 say 79V reinforced on the side...if not you got the wrong rear tire. There are 2 different 160/70 17 ME 880 tires available and this has happened before. The other tire is not weight rated for the LT and the weight of the bike pushes the sidewall out to rub the swing arm.

Ron

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Ron

I will have to run out and look ....should it be after the tire size call out ? as far as location on the side wall?

thanks
mark

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Does the ME880 say 79V reinforced on the side...if not you got the wrong rear tire. There are 2 different 160/70 17 ME 880 tires available and this has happened before. The other tire is not weight rated for the LT and the weight of the bike pushes the sidewall out to rub the swing arm.

Ron
+1 look for "79V" on tire

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
says 73H , but it rubbs even on the center stand........must be once the weight has pushed out the side wall it stays?

mark

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
zzkvsl said:
says 73H , but it rubbs even on the center stand........must be once the weight has pushed out the side wall it stays?

mark
Mark this is the size & part # you need

160/70VB-17 M/C 79V REINFTL Part #110-10448

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
One other possibility is that your final drive pivot bearings are dead. I have heard about a case where the breakage of pivot bearings has caused the tire (and also rim) to scrub on the swing arm. So grab the tire from the rear of the bike and check if the whole FD moves...

Regards

·
Registered
183 Posts
Same thing happened to me a while back. the 73H tire is the wrong fit for the LT, you need the 79V as explained by previous posters.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
zzkvsl said:

mark
The 73H also is not as rounded on the side as the 73V spec. BMW LT tire. So even with no flex it can rub.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I don't understand from your post whether it rubs all the way around the edge of the tire or just in one spot. If just one spot then you've got a bubble on the tire, the Bridgestone radials used to have this problem. No matter if that is it or not, you need the 79V tire.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If you have a 73H on the rear, get it off now. Rubbing or not, that is a very unsafe tire to have on the LT. Far below specified load rating.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks everyone for the help on this one , your quick response helped me in calling the place I purchased the tire. they are working with their distribuator to give me my money back on it.

thanks
mark

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Here are some picts of how close the tire is to various parts of the swing arm. This is a shot of a 2002 LT
swing arm and these tires are new Bias Ply Bridgestones

Notice the rubbing potential as shown in Pict 1 is not really on the side of the tire due to the cut out of the swing arm.
The real potential for rubbing (ask me how I know) is on the edge of the tire just to the side.

Picture 2 shows just how tight it is and you will see residue from a recent tire rub. I was running 3 year old Radial
Bridgestones and the tire delaminated in 3 spots. As the tire expanded it just ran into the swing arm. I tried to get
warranty since the tire had plenty of tread left and they just looked the other way due to age.

As some pointed out leaving off the spacer could place the tire even closer to the swing arm. Running the correct
pressures is also important but I would suspect the tire would rebound to a round shape since it would rotate 3/4
of a turn before it passes by the swing arm.

Glad to see you are seeking the correct tire as there is little room for error in this area and I would not even want to
talk about the results of a blow out due to a tire rub!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts