BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we all want to get the maximum number of miles on a tire as safety permits. At what point do you finally decide to change the tire? I have a little over 8800 miles on my Metzler rear right now. The center is getting pretty flat but I don't see any wear bars at this point.

I have the new tire, should I just go ahead and change it or get some more miles out of the current tire. I want to be safe, is it safe to ride until you see the wear bars??

I hear some people get over 12,000 miles out of a rear tire.

Your opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you ridden it in the rain lately? If so, did the bike seem squirrelly ? If so probably time to change.

Also I see you did the ss1000 and BB1500, I just did it this past weekend. How long did it take to get your certificate? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kimokk said:
Have you ridden it in the rain lately? If so, did the bike seem squirrelly ? If so probably time to change.

Also I see you did the ss1000 and BB1500, I just did it this past weekend. How long did it take to get your certificate? Thanks!

I've ridden in the rain and it seemed ok.

It seems like it took several months to get the certificate.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
Your call but I have never seen the wear bars on any rear I have changed out. I have let them get close but I always seem to have a trip coming that will bust them so I change it.

The owners manual states minimum recommended depth of tread as Front 2mm (0.08") and Rear 3mm (0.12"). My average mileage on the last 10 tires was 7,348. The highest was the first one at 9,100 and the lowest was the last one 5,927 and that was all trailer pulling miles.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I can tell you with absolute authority that if you reach the wear bars on a Metzler you have less than 250 before the cord shows through. BTDT. Wont go there again.

It was nice to see John Z's post about the mileage he gets from his tires. Just about spot on to what I get.

Loren

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ran this one way pass the wear bar, which I don't see on my new tire. I noticed it felt odd in turns. Yea think, duh! New one is on the rim, ABS flush and new pads will make it ready to ride this weekend to Cleveland BMW open house.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
WVMSFRS said:
...the wear bar, which I don't see on my new tire.
Look in the "chicken strip" area of the tire for "TWI" and an arrow. This points to the wear indicator locations.

·
Registered
671 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I can tell you with absolute authority that if you reach the wear bars on a Metzler you have less than 250 before the cord shows through. BTDT. Wont go there again.

It was nice to see John Z's post about the mileage he gets from his tires. Just about spot on to what I get.

Loren
x2 on that! Once mine hit the wear bars I went 300 miles and saw cords! There is literally no rubber between the bottom of the rain grooves and the cords! BTW I got 11K on mine but should have replaced them at 10500K (hindsight is 20/20) Seriously when they hit the tops of the wear bars, get new tires.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the info and the input. I had the new rear tire put on today. I got 8911 miles on the Metzeler.

·
Registered
719 Posts
dthogey said:
Thanks guys for the info and the input. I had the new rear tire put on today. I got 8911 miles on the Metzeler.
i avg. 18,000 miles on my rear metzlers,,,,21000 on the front

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lenny said:

How is this possible??? My mileage seems comparable with several other posts on this thread. What do I need to do different??

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
dthogey said:
How is this possible??? My mileage seems comparable with several other posts on this thread. What do I need to do different??
+1.

My average for tires, over 120k miles, is 9,625 miles for the rear and 14,447 for the front.

·
Registered
335 Posts
hschisler said:
+1.

My average for tires, over 120k miles, is 9,625 miles for the rear and 14,447 for the front.
Would that be because you spend a lot more time on the sidewalls and not so much on the middle of the tread?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
tips727 said:
Would that be because you spend a lot more time on the sidewalls and not so much on the middle of the tread?
I wish. I've never been known to be even a relatively-agressive rider.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I did 18,000 once both front and rear and still had thread left. I did dump the bike once in the rain so now I change them at 12,000 or if starting a long trip. Nothing like getting new tires though. It feels like a new bike.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
lenny said:
Do you dip them in liquid nitrogen or some other magic potion before use to rearrange the molecular lattices? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Do you dip them in liquid nitrogen or some other magic potion before use to rearrange the molecular lattices? :rolleyes:
Not at all. Good shocks and proper balance can add many miles life to the tires. Also some say the older metz had a harder compound and lasted longer. Of course how you ride has a big effect too.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
Hard acceleration will eat up a rear tire and aggressive braking will do the same to a front.

I like the forward G's:) . First gear to red line then shift to 5th as you are at 60 already.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts