BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the rear tire with a car tire. If so, what size worked? I have several friends that have done do on other cruisers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have two buds who did this; one on a 650 Bergman scooter, the other on a Goldwing 1800. There were many of the obvious cautions, criticisms and warnings especially with regards to handling, but they did it anyway. They liked to brag of the anticipated mileage they expected, and the lower tire cost compared to premium MC tires, but they did it anyway. Recently, I learned that both gents had secretly removed the car tires from their bikes (with great difficulty and under cover of darkness) and reinstalled a proper fitting motorcycle tire. Why, I asked? Strange handling, and irregular and surprisingly rapid tire wear were mentioned by both, along with the difficulty experienced in actually mounting a car tire on their MC wheels. It isn’t worth it...don’t do it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was thinking of wearing a salad colander for a helmet because helmets are a bit expensive, I mean hey it fits on my head and it's made out of plastic and you get really good ventilation while riding.
I think it's worth a try. >:)

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
Disclaimer: If you believe that car tires belong on cars and motorcycle tires belong on motorcycles, then you're entirely correct and there's no need to read any further. :)

But if you're interested in alternative tire options, then check out this thread, this post and this post in this thread.

The short answer is that a 175-55/17 car tire will fit on the LT, but its wider tread means you need to run 8mm of spacers (instead of the stock 2mm spacer) and use slightly longer lug bolts. You can stack four of the stock 2mm spacers (36 31 1 451 791) and use 60mm lug bolts (36 31 2 333 226) from older K-bikes and R-bikes to replace the LT's stock 55mm lug bolts (36 31 2 333 225).

Note the RT, GT, and K16 bikes came with wider tires that the LT, so 175-55/17 car tire will fit on those bikes without using any spacers.

I have several hundred thousand miles running car tires on various Beemers. My K13GT (LD Rally bike) is currently running an Achilles 175-55/17 Economist car tire using the stock rim and lug bolts. I can scrape the pegs at will, wet or dry, so there's absolutely no reduction in traction for any type of road or weather conditions.

I also have a 175/55-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE040 Tire on hand, which has a slightly more rounded profile than the Achilles Economist.

My plan is to swap the Economist onto the LT (bought the bolts used, need to source a wider spacer), and run the Potenza on the K13GT (more lean angle on the GT than the LT).

I've had so many people tell me that car tires just can't work on a motorcycle, or they'll just handle like shît, or I'm just gonna crash and die. After a decade of successfully doing so, I just chuckle to myself and ride away... :bike:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Good points Meese.

How much more does it take to counter steer? I would think the LT would be easier to ride on the dark side than the GT with its wider bars. I find the short bars on the RS take more pressure, especially compared to the LT.

I just think about how much better the bike feels after I get that flattened rear off and put on a new one, handling improves tremendously.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have several hundred thousand miles running car tires on various Beemers. My K13GT (LD Rally bike) is currently running an Achilles 175-55/17 Economist car tire using the stock rim and lug bolts. I can scrape the pegs at will, wet or dry, so there's absolutely no reduction in traction for any type of road or weather conditions.

I also have a 175/55-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE040 Tire on hand, which has a slightly more rounded profile than the Achilles Economist.
Meese - I'm running the Achilles Economist now, and it's a fine tire, but I've never been able to find the Bridgestone Potenza in the US. Did you source your Bridgestone from Europe, or is there a secret supplier here in the US?

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
How much more does it take to counter steer?
Honestly? It's no worse than a motorcycle tire that's worn flat all down the middle. :)

It takes a little more effort to initiate a turn, and you have to hold light pressure during the turn or the bike tends to stand up. Some riders get used to that in a couple hundred miles, some in a couple thousand, and a handful of folks never do get used to it and revert back to motorcycle tires.

I can still ride just fine one-handed if needed, so it's just not something I even think about anymore.

Remember, a car tire starts feeling like a squared-off motorcycle tire, but it gets rounder and better with miles, whereas a motorcycle tire tends to get worse over time.

For me, the few minor disadvantages are far outweighed by the major advantages.

As always, your own mileage may vary... :bike:

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
Did you source your Bridgestone from Europe, or is there a secret supplier here in the US?
I managed to get lucky and find a single 175/55-17 Potenza on US eBay for $95 delivered.

Otherwise, I just see them in the UK or Europe.

Hmm, maybe I should be a bit more protective of this one, and save it for my next LD Rally... :bike:

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
For 99% of us, I think it would be a mistake, but like a lot of things, use the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just read through this thread as i finished putting yet another Metzler888 on the rear of my LT with 214,000 miles. I've only used this on the rear and has served me well. Cleaned the bike, all the service done, and ready to ride once again.

Reactions: RockyRoad

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
And life expectancy.
Most people think riding any kind of motorcycle is stupidly dangerous and that we're all just gonna crash and burn and die.

It's all about perspective, and intelligently managing risk... :)

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
I just read through this thread as i finished putting yet another Metzler888 on the rear of my LT with 214,000 miles.
And yet, I've had several ME880/888 tires slip in the rain, and more than one where the tread has come loose from the carcass... :eek:

I've run the Metzelers when I needed to get high mileage above all else, but I know that I'm sacrificing traction to do so.

Whereas the car tires I've run gave way better mileage without reducing traction, and in fact work better in the rain.

As I said, YMMV...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts