BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just read another thread about a rear tire and it got me thinking about mine... i'm running a metz on the rear of my 2003lt, its got at least 6,000 miles on it, and i've kept the air pressure right both riding solo and with passenger and luggage.

the thing is, it is wearing odd to me...about 3 inches of the center of the tire seems raised, forming a little ridge on either side all the way around the tire... i would have thought the center area would have worn down before the sides considering the majority of the miles on the tire have been fairly flat interstates (more straightways than twisties)

is this a normal wear pattern on these tires?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Robert, What are the complete specs on the tire? 160/70 ?? 17 79V ? Radial or bias? How much weight are you putting on the bike riding 2 UP? Some folks (like me & Mrs.) are heavier than others. I run 50 psi when riding 2 up.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Robert1965 said:
just read another thread about a rear tire and it got me thinking about mine... i'm running a metz on the rear of my 2003lt, its got at least 6,000 miles on it, and i've kept the air pressure right both riding solo and with passenger and luggage.

the thing is, it is wearing odd to me...about 3 inches of the center of the tire seems raised, forming a little ridge on either side all the way around the tire... i would have thought the center area would have worn down before the sides considering the majority of the miles on the tire have been fairly flat interstates (more straightways than twisties)

Sounds like you have a magic motorcycle there.

Why don't you create a swap-service, you can send your rear tire to guys like me who get wear ONLY on the center of the rear Metzeler (it seems), we can trade rear tires very 6,000 miles and be the first guys to get, like, 50,000 miles per set!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm so confused about the correct tire pressure now. I purchased my 09 with less than 4k on it in August of 09. The previous owner had the rear tire at 46 and I kept it there. The rear lasted until the 12k mark. It was worn in the middle indicating, to me, that it had been over inflated. The front tire was at 36 so I left it there. It lasted until 14k.

The new rear tire I had installed is kept at 43 cold (unless 2 up then I run at 46 cold) and it now has 8k on it and looks almost new still. The new front I still run at 36 cold and it really looks new, the little loose nubs aren't even worn off yet.

I know there's a lot of discussion and it seems most here are running way above my pressures but when I looked on the sidewalls (ME 880 Marathons by the way), I couldn't find any pressure amounts from the manufacturer.

I think I'm getting pretty good mileage so I'll probably keep them as is....what do you guys think?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
Iron_Horse said:
It was worn in the middle indicating, to me, that it had been over inflated.
Yes for a car tire but not true on a bike tire. Worn in the middle means most miles were on the slab and not the twisties. I have run five sets of tires and have run fronts at 42 and rears at 48. If I spend a lot of time in the mountains they wear pretty even across the tread at those pressures. If you are hard on acceleration you will wear out the rear faster. If you brake hard you will wear out the fronts faster. Just a fact of life.

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Robert1965 said:

I am wondering if you have the correct rear tire for the LT as it needs to be weight rated for that heavy bike. Is it possible that you have the standard tire as opposed to the reinforced one? If this is the case your tire may be "giving" a little and rubbing on the sides, giving you the impression that the center is raised while in effect it is the sides that are wearing out. Can you post a couple of picture?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Iron_Horse said:
I'm so confused about the correct tire pressure now. I purchased my 09 with less than 4k on it in August of 09. The previous owner had the rear tire at 46 and I kept it there. The rear lasted until the 12k mark. It was worn in the middle indicating, to me, that it had been over inflated. The front tire was at 36 so I left it there. It lasted until 14k.

The new rear tire I had installed is kept at 43 cold (unless 2 up then I run at 46 cold) and it now has 8k on it and looks almost new still. The new front I still run at 36 cold and it really looks new, the little loose nubs aren't even worn off yet.

I know there's a lot of discussion and it seems most here are running way above my pressures but when I looked on the sidewalls (ME 880 Marathons by the way), I couldn't find any pressure amounts from the manufacturer.

I think I'm getting pretty good mileage so I'll probably keep them as is....what do you guys think?
I think if you are getting that many miles out of a set of Metzlers you are not spending enough time near or at the redline in the twisties!

Loren

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unfortunately, the twisties are something I have to go looking for on a day off. I use the bike as my primary source of transportation (95%). Work commuting has no real fun turns except one roundabout intersection. I run up 700 miles a month just for work. Wife likes to get a day ride on one of our days off so to find some turns you have to drive about 100 miles just to get to any then there are some but, no, not enough exciting riding just daily riding...about 6 days a week year round thanks to living in the Southwest.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Normal wear on the Metz...

When you have a new Metz put on, it's got a round profile... As you drive the highways, the round in the center of the tire wears, thus the tire looks like it has a flat spot right in the center with ridges on the outsides of the flat track.

And it will make noise... and while you may not notice it right now and as you put more miles on it, pushing it into a turn is a PITA. To prove it? Put a new tire on and and see how easy it is to push over...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts