BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for a thread, didn’t find one. I know plugging a rear tire is pretty much different from rider to rider. Just found a big a$$ screw in my new 3300 mile worn PRGT4. A buddy of mine suggested plugging. But I remembered as a motorcop, same bike as I have now, even if I caught a nail right out of the motor garage, they would just give me a new tire. I figured if they wouldn’t plug with their expertise, I wouldn’t. Don’t know if I trust it, especially with my 500 mile a week commute.

2013 BMW R1200RT 90 Years of Motorrad 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I had this happen earlier in the year and I plugged it from the inside. Here's the thread where it was discussed with a variety of opinions (shocking, right?) Given the newness of the tire, I opted to remove the tire and plug it that way than simply plugging it the more traditional way. I suppose the latter would've been fine, but I'm fully convinced the patch I installed will not fail.

Reactions: tonyt.0906

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this happen earlier in the year and I plugged it from the inside. Here's the thread where it was discussed with a variety of opinions (shocking, right?) Given the newness of the tire, I opted to remove the tire and plug it that way than simply plugging it the more traditional way. I suppose the latter would've been fine, but I'm fully convinced the patch I installed will not fail.
Thanks...I just ended up buying new tire...don’t have the home capability to remove tire from rim...I’ll read the thread though. Be interesting to see everyone’s take

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had a nearly identical screw on my Triumph with a Road 5 tire. Took it to a tire shop, they put a plug in it and I rode it confidently another several thousand miles until I sold the bike. Plug didn't leak, and I felt fully confident selling it as-is.

Since you already bought a new tire, maybe you kept the old one for a spare in case you get a flat that can't be fixed with a plug?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a nearly identical screw on my Triumph with a Road 5 tire. Took it to a tire shop, they put a plug in it and I rode it confidently another several thousand miles until I sold the bike. Plug didn't leak, and I felt fully confident selling it as-is.

Since you already bought a new tire, maybe you kept the old one for a spare in case you get a flat that can't be fixed with a plug?
I’m taking wheel first thing in the am. I would have to ask the dealer to save the tire for me. But I was reading plugging a hole not in the thread was not recommended.

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I lived on an bumpy paved road for 42 years .The smoothest part of the road was 6 to 12 inches off the shoulder of the road. ... So, That is were I road, But , that is were all the nails & screws & ..stuff to pig stick your tires lives. As a result, Most all rear tires on my bike would have 2 or 3 plugs in them before they were wore out.

We moved 1200 miles from there a year ago, to a 55+ gated community , with real nice roads. I thought for sure plugging tires were going to be a thing of the past.. In June, I went to ride my 2010 GSA back up to Michigan for a dentist app. & what do you know.. I had a nice nail in there rear tire...

I had to plug before I left. I ran it 3400 miles up there and back , up over smokies & back down the dragon no problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Brown rope style plugs are very reliable. I used them in the auto business for decades. I've plugged at least 5 motorcycle tires and they all lasted the life of the tire.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have plugged mine to get home from long trips and never had issues (unless the hole is too big). I always get it repaired properly though once home. I do have a new repair kit that has a mushroom type repair. Has special tool to insert the plug but otherwise the same. never had to use it though.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yep, I am an advocate of plug and forget.
Over the many years of tubeless tyre ownership, I have had a fair share of punctures. With the exception of one (which was more like a slash than a puncture), the repairs (normally with camel string), have been faultless. The tyre with the longish slash in ti was also repaired with the amazing camel string, but that really was a get me to safety type repair. That was the only occasion I felt the need to replace the tyre.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a fairly new tire with a leak. Using soapy water I found the leak and plugged it. But apparently I missed the hole and it still leaked. I gave up. It does not always work.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I've always replaced the tire. Once had a new tire with less than 500 miles get a nail. Just peace of mind for me. Of course, I carry two sets of plugs for on-the-road fixes; one with the mushroom rubber plugs and the other being the camel string type.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I looked for a thread, didn’t find one. I know plugging a rear tire is pretty much different from rider to rider. Just found a big a$$ screw in my new 3300 mile worn PRGT4. A buddy of mine suggested plugging. But I remembered as a motorcop, same bike as I have now, even if I caught a nail right out of the motor garage, they would just give me a new tire. I figured if they wouldn’t plug with their expertise, I wouldn’t. Don’t know if I trust it, especially with my 500 mile a week commute.

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
Tony, I have only replaced one rear tire that had a puncture. I didn't plug that one because I couldn't find the puncture! When I got the bike to the dealer, even they couldn't locate it visually until they dunked it.

Until the Stop N Go plug system came along, I broke the tire down and patched it from the inside and rode on. Since the Stop N Go system came along - the few punctures I've had, I just plugged them on the bike and rode on,

I have three of these kits. Also carry one of their 12V pumps. I carry one in both the RT's I have and one in the car. Takes me longer to get everything out than it does to make a repair.

I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Plugging a tire is not a big deal if the repair is in the middle of the tread area as yours would be. Yes, the internal plugs are superior, but the "dog turd" style plugs will last the life of the tire if done well. I keep plug kits on both my bikes and I have had to use them. This was my video on how to plug:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tony, I have only replaced one rear tire that had a puncture. I didn't plug that one because I couldn't find the puncture! When I got the bike to the dealer, even they couldn't locate it visually until they dunked it.

Until the Stop N Go plug system came along, I broke the tire down and patched it from the inside and rode on. Since the Stop N Go system came along - the few punctures I've had, I just plugged them on the bike and rode on,

I have three of these kits. Also carry one of their 12V pumps. I carry one in both the RT's I have and one in the car. Takes me longer to get everything out than it does to make a repair.

I've never had a problem.
I appreciate all the feedback, and with the wide range of experience, I guess I could take it to the bank. I’ll get a plug kit and give it a try next time. Tell you what, I miss the free tires I got when I was a motorcop lol.

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
You can plug that tire. Hell. I've done it miles from home and it got me back safe. But I would go get it patched. Patched tires hold up well. There's alot of meat left on it. But. To each their own.

·
Registered
2011 RT
188 Posts
The gummy worms have always work for me, ran them till tire change. It takes confidence in the product and yourself..... the first one worked just fine, why not this time mentality🙏

1 - 20 of 31 Posts