BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the thread on mileage change for tires and was wondering what the opinion would be on running a patched tire.

I just had a flat fixed. Rear tire with less than 1500 miles on it. It took a 3 inch nail that went in head first, not point first (head of the nail is less than 1/4 inch). I had it patched and have no intention of doing any immediate long distance runs.

I am going to have a new one mounted as soon as I can but I'm curious about opinions on running a patched tire. I had it patched at a tire shop, not plugged.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
In my experience "Mushroom" style plugs that are installed from the inside out give the best results. Unfortunately you have to remove and rebalance the tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have used a vulcanized (rubber cement) large flat tire patches on the inside of many tires and tubes over long distances for many years. The tire/tube has to be removed from the rim, area roughened up, glue has to dry completely, patch securely pressed on and tire checked for leaks (with soapy water) when remounted and aired up.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I think there are two thoughts on tire patches. Some say no and some say yes. I have had tires patched and never had a problem. Our city bikes when they have a nail will get a new tire, no patches. That word, Liability. When it is just me I will run a patch, but if I got the wife on the back or if I am going on a trip, I will get a new tire. No patch for the wife.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Definately, +1 for the mushroom plug.

I have used them on sportbikes without failure.
Should be fine on the LT. Most riders are not aggressive enough to flex the tire enough to get the patch part to peel from the inside of the tire.

Be sure to sand the inside of the tire smooth so the glue will adheer.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
'shroom plug is gud....with vulcanizing sealant. MUST clean inside properly or won't bond properly.

Note exactly where the patch is with a "paint pen" on the side of the tire.... watch and check often... any bubbling or notable change, "Off the bike"...

If I take long trip, tire gets swapped... I may hang on to it for remounting later... depends...

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is almost as guaranteed to stir up disagreement as "what oil should I use". If I KNOW WHAT CAUSED THE PUNCTURE, as in your case, I will plug 'em and run it 'til it's worn out. I ride solo at speeds below 110 mph <g>, 99% below 80 actualy. Many will swear you should only run a patched or plugged tire as far as the nearest dealer and replace it. This is your risk to accept or not.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
It is a risk, for sure. But nobody has mentioned the problem of moisture getting in around the wire reinforced layers and causing it to rust. TJ Tennent mentioned that at last years CCR.(words of a tire man)

Leaks can be checked and stopped, but rust will speed up the ruination(is that a word?) of a tire. As for me, I just plug'em until I can get a new one........long OR short rides!

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Dont know about patches..? I ran a plugged rear metz for about 18,000km with no troubles, also used Ultraseal to make sure in case there were an little leaks. Thread
I've since been running Ultraseal in front/rear and have pulled a few metal and glass pieces out of the rear with no signs of leakage.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just hypothesizing here...what about a patch plus a sealant like "Ride On?" I picked up a 16d once on my Road King. I don't recall whether I had it patched or plugged, but rode another 10K including a 2K trip before I had to replace due to wear. If you repair the tire, plugging is a superior way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts