BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my rear tire last week. I replaced a Metz with another Metz. The last rear tire that I replaced in the spring had 8900 miles on it. The one I change last week had 11469 miles on it. I really took it easy accelerating and decelerating. I also kept the psi at 48 all the time.

I'm sure I could have gotten another 500 miles or so, its just that I was pulling a trailer and didn't want to push it.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That's right about the same miles I usually get out of a rear Metzler,
I don't think pulling a trailer affects tire mileage,
when I have my trailer attached my saddlebags are empty,
without the trailer my bags are usually full.

Tire pressure is the key to longevity,
but I like the way my bike rides with a little less pressure (42/37)
so I'm willing to sacrifice a little mileage for a better ride.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
7700 miles since change and I just hit the cords (Metz) on a 100 mile ride this weekend.
After seeing pictures at the cords on this site, I had convinced myself I wasn't going to ride em that thin. Looked fine pre-ride, ride-no-more after (heavy hand on the throttle on occasionally).
Sneaks up on you.
Jim H.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Dave,
Several of us down south (probably others all over) run a Metzeler front and Bridgestone rear combination. The Metz fronts run longer than the Bridgestone fronts by 3000 miles or so. The Bridgestone rears run longer than the Metz rears by a bunch. Maybe 6000 miles or more. Dave S. will have all the tire facts, so I'm sure he'll chime in here when he can. I try to keep the mileage in my mind, but we all know how that works! :D Dave keeps his mileage, changes, etc. on a calendar. That's much more reliable than my system.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The last two tires on the back, both Metz 880 Marathons, ran 8350; and 8735; perspectively.
I just changed out the front a few weeks ago and had 15,325, Not recomended as it was getting pretty snarky looking, but on the other hand I was impressed. Metz is about the only tires I'll run on the LT, and I pull a trailer quite a few miles.........I leave the pressure @ 48.

makes a great little 'Bavarian Pick-up'........... :D

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Hi Dave,

I got an amazing 12,450mi on the rear tire before last and 11,000 on the last one. I check the air before every ride and keep them at 42/48.
Hope to meet up with you in MI soon. Looks like Big Rapids might be a halfway spot.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jers99lt said:
Hi Dave,

I got an amazing 12,450mi on the rear tire before last and 11,000 on the last one. I check the air before every ride and keep them at 42/48.
Hope to meet up with you in MI soon. Looks like Big Rapids might be a halfway spot.

Have fun,
Jer

Sounds good lets get together!

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I've never gotten more than 6,500 on a Metzeler. I guess I need a diet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just replaced rear a month ago and front last week. Over 13000 on rear and 14000 on front. Metzler me880's Run with 38/46

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can get a lot more miles out of your tires if you try to ride all curvy roads... every tire I've ever replaced still had good rubber in the side walls !!!

:dance:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have 12,000 miles on my ME880's this year and still have lots of life left. I live in the northern prairies, lots of long straight roads, moderate temps, and no concrete interstates which ate my last set of tires on a 4000 mile trip thru Montana and wyoming last year..I wonder if road material and air temp have anything to do with life expecetancy?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Lee510 said:
Dave,
Several of us down south (probably others all over) run a Metzeler front and Bridgestone rear combination. The Metz fronts run longer than the Bridgestone fronts by 3000 miles or so. The Bridgestone rears run longer than the Metz rears by a bunch. Maybe 6000 miles or more. Dave S. will have all the tire facts, so I'm sure he'll chime in here when he can. I try to keep the mileage in my mind, but we all know how that works! :D Dave keeps his mileage, changes, etc. on a calendar. That's much more reliable than my system.
I've also found the rear Bridg's to last longer and also not as loud after they cup. Metz front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts