BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 LT. Would anyone happen to have a rear shock with the pre-load laying around? I need one of those special banjo bolts that secure the hose to both the shock and the pre-load unit. I also need 1 or 2 of the copper crush washers that go with it. I'd be happy to pay you for the parts and shipping of course.

BMW does not sell these fasteners separately from the shock unit, and Showa does not sell parts to the public. I've tried. They are evidently proprietary to this rear shock unit. If anyone could be of help I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I see only the whole shock and pre-load unit available at the Boneyard and on eBay. I need only a banjo bolt and crush washer. I hate to spend $100 for a few fasteners.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Too bad your bike isn't one of the later model ones, as I still have the stock front and rear shocks (w/30K miles) from my '07 LT that I'd sell for $100 plus shipping. I replaced them with a set of Yacugars, thinking they'd solve my bottoming problem going over parking lot speed bumps (they didn't...). Good luck on finding a solution to your problem! :wave

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Too bad your bike isn't one of the later model ones, as I still have the stock front and rear shocks (w/30K miles) from my '07 LT that I'd sell for $100 plus shipping. I replaced them with a set of Yacugars, thinking they'd solve my bottoming problem going over parking lot speed bumps (they didn't...). Good luck on finding a solution to your problem! :wave
They will bolt right on to his 99 LT with no problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, I am hoping to find just the banjo bolt and crush washer and not have to pay $100. I rounded the bolt and lost a crush washer. I have another washer in there that is very close and is working and I tightened the bolt pretty well with vise grips but I would like to replace that bolt if possible. I was using the correct metric socket to remove the bolt on the pre-load but it was super tight and the socket slipped. BTW, I re-filled the pre-load unit with hydraulic oil and it made a huge difference in the LT's ride. Well worth the effort!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be more specific, I am hoping to find someone who has an old rear shock laying around that they don't mind cannibalizing for parts. I am willing to pay a reasonable price for the fasteners and for all the shipping costs of course.

I would appreciate any other suggestions as to how to find these parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A forum member has sent me a link to some banjo bolts on eBay that look very promising! Thanks! I will order them.

Here's the link: Brake Banjo Bolt M8 x 1.0 Turbo 8mm Banjo Bolt 2 pieces | eBay

I will let y'all know if they fit. The banjo bolts for the pre-load unit are quite different than the brake line banjo bolts.

The eBay ones are 8mm and the pre-load bolts may be 6mm. I will have to pull one out to be sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, the banjo bolts from Brake Banjo Bolt M8 x 1.0 Turbo 8mm Banjo Bolt 2 pieces | eBay fit perfectly on my '99 LT pre-load oil line connections. These fasteners are not available from BMW since they are part of the Showa shock assembly. If you damage one like I did, here is a good source for a replacement at a very reasonable price!

Thanks to all who offered help!

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Okay, the banjo bolts from Brake Banjo Bolt M8 x 1.0 Turbo 8mm Banjo Bolt 2 pieces | eBay fit perfectly on my '99 LT pre-load oil line connections. These fasteners are not available from BMW since they are part of the Showa shock assembly. If you damage one like I did, here is a good source for a replacement at a very reasonable price!

Thanks to all who offered help!
I would think many of us have that rear shock laying around as I do but I don't want to cannibalize it and make it useless if I wanted to send my TFX out for rebuild. At least I would still have something to ride in the mean time.

Glad you found a replacement part and thanks for posting the link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts