BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the LT out of the shop having a valve guide leak repaired and the shop said I have a small leak on the rear shock. They have OEM and other shocks available. Said if I change rear I need to change front also. What shocks would be best to put on the bike? and is it a very difficult job to replace them yourself? or should I just get OEM again? The LT is an 06 and I have about 40,000 miles. The seal and radio (it was not working) were both replaced by extended warranty. :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
BMWWANDRR said:
Just got the LT out of the shop having a valve guide leak repaired and the shop said I have a small leak on the rear shock. They have OEM and other shocks available. Said if I change rear I need to change front also. What shocks would be best to put on the bike? and is it a very difficult job to replace them yourself? or should I just get OEM again? The LT is an 06 and I have about 40,000 miles. The seal and radio (it was not working) were both replaced by extended warranty. :D
Well, first, don't believe everything a dealer may say!!

I actually had my rear shock fail, the top mount broke while ripping across South Dakota. I was towed all the way to Bak BMW in Iowa. They replaced the OEM with an Ohlins. While it was a huge improvement (I had about 44,000 on the OEM) and the bike certainly handles better, I still have the OEM front on some 20,000 miles later. I am happy with the combo.

Ohlins, Wilbers, Hyper Pro are all excellent upgrades. Many do the swap themselves. I will likely do mine this Spring. There is plenty of good How-To info the in the HOW!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts