BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear shock is gone at 36K on the bike. I post in a tread that I was hoping my shock would start leaking so I could get it replaced under warranty. Another member (KeithsBMW) saw the post & PMed me that he had a new shock off his GTL with only 700+- miles as he had his GTL turned into a trike. He made me a good deal on it so I bought it & it came in today. It only takes about 10 minutes to unbolt the shock but you have to disassemble the whole reared of the bike to get it out. That took about 1 hour & 45 minutes. It should go back together a little fast as I know what I'm doing now :roll eyes:
Here is how the bikes looks now plus all the loose parts al over the garage.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Just be glad it wasn't the front shock . . . :D

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Just be glad it wasn't the front shock . . . :D
Hell I am sure the front shock is worn out as well. Even Ohlins become due for a rebuild at 25+K or less. I would also add that wilbers for DESA cost $2000 a pair.Both DESA and ESA Wilbers use the BMW ESA parts.
8^)

·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Things slowed down with work today so I was able to get the bike back together.
Man what a difference the new shock makes. I will hopefully have the new front one done in the next few weeks.:bmw:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Steve , how did the needle bearings of the dog bone linkage system hold up ?

Were they dry/ crusty ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Steve, need a tech session volunteer bike at CCR? I know it's too much for a couple hour tech session but... Looks like you got it handled, maybe another business opportunity for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great job on the shock install but...

One question; Is that a bubbled Honda tank leaning against the wall? Looks weird!:wow:

·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great job on the shock install but...

One question; Is that a bubbled Honda tank leaning against the wall? Looks weird!:wow:
Yes it is. It is the old tank off my 82 CB750 That I replaced with a tank from a 92 CB900 custom. The guy I ought the bike from uses a rattle cat to paint the tank as you can see.

Here is the bike with the other tank.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts