BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW RA rally in Ashville is only a few weeks away and I am getting ready to install a new rear shock and haven't looked at any manuals. Any shade tree mechanic tricks I would appreciate? So far it appears the side cases need to come off, the right fairing, the battery pulled and I need to jack the bike up and support it to allow the rear wheel to be fully extended. Any tricks here? TIA!
mark

BYW, I will be getting married during the rally at the Biltmore on Friday the 8th at 2:00 pm if any of you fellow LT folks wanna throw some rice. The reception is a closed affair, however, due to their strict rules. See you on the road!!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
None of the above (sort of). Yes, take off the right side battery cover(tupperware not the metal battery cover), wich is easier with the right fairing off, or at least loose in the back. The side case does not have to come off. The rest is pretty straight forward. It does take a bit of maneuvering to get the top nut out with out dropping it into the bowels of the machine and watch that washer as well as it is difficult to find when you drop it. The rear wheel can be supported with a piece of wood or some folded card board.There was a post recently that had some photos but I don't have a link.

Oh, and congrats on the wedding!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
You can change the rear shock on the LT with out removing the rear cases. The easist will be to remove all the tupperware on the right hand side of the bike, the pillion foot peg on the right side. Then you can get to nut and bolt on the swing arm. But you don't have to do all that if you don't want to. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to swap out. YMMV

·
Registered
805 Posts
With the gas tank in place, getting to that nut that tightens the upper pivot pin was such a pita that I finally pulled the tank. What I did not do was to place something beneath the upper mount to catch the washer as I pulled the pivot pin. It promptly took up residence down between the starter and the alternator. I won't tell you how many hours I fished for it . . .

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
LTinOH said:
BMW RA rally in Ashville is only a few weeks away and I am getting ready to install a new rear shock and haven't looked at any manuals. Any shade tree mechanic tricks I would appreciate? So far it appears the side cases need to come off, the right fairing, the battery pulled and I need to jack the bike up and support it to allow the rear wheel to be fully extended. Any tricks here? TIA!
mark

BYW, I will be getting married during the rally at the Biltmore on Friday the 8th at 2:00 pm if any of you fellow LT folks wanna throw some rice. The reception is a closed affair, however, due to their strict rules. See you on the road!!
Hey, congratulations on the nuptials. What a setting for a wedding!!!

Down below your thread here, are several *similar thread* items. The fourth one down has a thread by Phil Ward that includes a .doc with a great description of replacing the rear shock. Good luck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
was said:
With the gas tank in place, getting to that nut that tightens the upper pivot pin was such a pita that I finally pulled the tank. What I did not do was to place something beneath the upper mount to catch the washer as I pulled the pivot pin. It promptly took up residence down between the starter and the alternator. I won't tell you how many hours I fished for it . . .
Bill,

I forgot I was doing a 24K when I did the rear (and front) shock so the tank was off. And I, too, dropped that stinking washer!!!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Mark,

I'm only an hour away from you. PM if you want help, or just a second pair of hands. I've replaced the rear shock before. Simple simple procedure. The front isn't bad either...just time-consuming.

Oh...congrats on the wedding! :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
jzeiler said:
Bill,
And I, too, dropped that stinking washer!!!
Hey John, we had best never let our bikes get together, I'm sure they would spend the time gossiping about us and sharing plans on how to get us again the next time we work on them!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changing rear shock - not in Shock

Well, as you all said, it was a very easy job. Glad I had asked, or I would have been pulling parts off I did not need to only to find out I did not need to. I had asked for suggestions about a radio problem a short time back and got lots of helpful info then as well. So while she was apart, I took care of all the things at once AND with success. You folks have been a big help. I used to moan to myself about working on (tupperware parties) the 1150RT, but this one is MUCH more fun...... Thanks again to all who chimed in! See you on the road.

:dance:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
LTinOH said:
mark

Side case, tank and tupperware do NOT need to come off, you will need to remove the battery unless you've got midget hands. Simply stick a couple of small rubber balls (hand balls work great) under the tupperware once it is loosened from the top and back to allow it to "bow" out - plenty of room to work in there. Jack it up a little and support the rear tire with a small plank. Takes about 30 minutes start to finish... ;)

That washer IS a bugger... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts