BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to doing this. Been having bottoming issues since I bought the bike, especially when going in or out of my driveway. The whole thing took about 15 minutes, including reading the procedure several times. All I can say is WOW!!!!! I only had about 1/3 of the adjustment available (maybe less). After adding jack oil and "burping" the line, I only had to turn about 1 click before I felt resistance. Vianca no longer bottoms out going in or out of the driveway. If you haven't done this, It's probably the best 15 minutes you'll spend on maintenance on the bike. I now run with the adjuster at the Std position when one up. I'm 6'1" and 270#. Since doing this, haven't bottomed out once, even with the Illumaworks foot on the side stand. That used to scrape all the time, I just figured I'd eventually wear it down enough to not scrape. Once again this site has the best info on making the LT even better than Germany made it. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Thats great to hear, I need to do this myself, I cringe every time I look at the cost of a new shock...

·
Registered
498 Posts
FuzzyWuzHe said:
Finally got around to doing this. Been having bottoming issues since I bought the bike, especially when going in or out of my driveway. The whole thing took about 15 minutes, including reading the procedure several times. All I can say is WOW!!!!! I only had about 1/3 of the adjustment available (maybe less). After adding jack oil and "burping" the line, I only had to turn about 1 click before I felt resistance. Vianca no longer bottoms out going in or out of the driveway. If you haven't done this, It's probably the best 15 minutes you'll spend on maintenance on the bike. I now run with the adjuster at the Std position when one up. I'm 6'1" and 270#. Since doing this, haven't bottomed out once, even with the Illumaworks foot on the side stand. That used to scrape all the time, I just figured I'd eventually wear it down enough to not scrape. Once again this site has the best info on making the LT even better than Germany made it. Thanks guys.
+1... I did it too, about two months ago. A must do, at least every 10-15K miles.... IMHO..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,410 Posts
What I always wondered was "Where did the oil go?" I never saw any leaks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless the oil goes away after "we" fill it, I'm guessing, like the FD's, not enough was put in to begin with.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
We are on family holiday, and have not checked in for a few days... Lots of reading to catch up on but not much time as the sand, and more importantly, the surf, awaits.

I refilled mine about a year ago but noticed no change. Perhaps after we get home I will try again when I have the beast stripped down for clutch, 12k, and HyperPro springs... anyone want to come over for a tech day (or two)?

·
Registered
71 Posts
FuzzyWuzHe said:
I know I could search for it, and probably find it- but would you want to save me that time by telling me how you were able to get the fluid into the shock?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,410 Posts
biknut said:
I know I could search for it, and probably find it- but would you want to save me that time by telling me how you were able to get the fluid into the shock?
He is replacing fluid that has leaked out of the pre-load adjuster - not the shock itself. This restores the original range of adjustment.

In case that is what you want to do then here goes.

Rotate the adjuster all the way CCW. Remove from the mount and hold inverted. Remove the banjo bolt and insert a small rod to press the backup plate back to the top. Squirt some jack oil in the hole until full and replace the banjo fitting and bolt. It also helps to have some one hold the hose up so oil will not drain while you are doing this.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
deputy5211 said:
We are on family holiday, and have not checked in for a few days... Lots of reading to catch up on but not much time as the sand, and more importantly, the surf, awaits.
Tony, you got surf in Texas? Now I know I gotta come over for a tech session!

·
Registered
71 Posts
jzeiler said:
He is replacing fluid that has leaked out of the pre-load adjuster - not the shock itself. This restores the original range of adjustment.

In case that is what you want to do then here goes.

Rotate the adjuster all the way CCW. Remove from the mount and hold inverted. Remove the banjo bolt and insert a small rod to press the backup plate back to the top. Squirt some jack oil in the hole until full and replace the banjo fitting and bolt. It also helps to have some one hold the hose up so oil will not drain while you are doing this.
A sincere thank you Sir! Sounds simple enough that even I can do it- or at least give it a try. Let's see how this turns out!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
cws said:
Tony, you got surf in Texas? Now I know I gotta come over for a tech session!

Come on, mate! I am in Santa Monica, California this week, though!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just filled mine - thanks for the play-by-play Warden! :thumb: I'll be doing a short trip (300 miles) tomorrow, so looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Here is Warden's photo guide all wrapped up in a single PDF file for your printing pleasure...

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
This procedure work on OHLINS pre-load adjuster units? I haven't touched ole Toad's since it wuz installed 120k ago, so I'd think it be wise to have the shock itself recharged - butt in the meantime, if ole Toad benefits from the OHLINS adjuster dance, I'd like to do that.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,994 Posts
Dick said:
This procedure work on OHLINS pre-load adjuster units? I haven't touched ole Toad's since it wuz installed 120k ago, so I'd think it be wise to have the shock itself recharged - butt in the meantime, if ole Toad benefits from the OHLINS adjuster dance, I'd like to do that.
Ohlin told me not to try it on there adjuster.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
saddleman said:
Ohlin told me not to try it on there adjuster.
Thanks, Dave. Wuz just getting ready to pull my Ohlins folder and see about contactin' 'em for their opinion. So - instead of doing that procedure, I think I'll try to find the guy in Austin who does Ohlins shock re-charging - prolly could use that update for sure. Thanks again.

Best to ya, Dave.

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1 I also just finished the shock adjuster refill,makes a hugh difference. Good info. Thanks to all on this great forum. Great info. here.
2006 LT
Fremont,ca.
CharelieB (shaioli)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts