BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably a bit too early to say on this model but has anyone had the common shaft drive/wheel bearing problem that the LT, GS models had/have?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Zero reported to date.

Not surprising -- the final drive design is substantially different from the previous generation drives, and BMW further beefed-up the K16 FD from the K12/K13 unit (per BMW's K16 intro materials).

·
Registered
60 Posts
earthman said:
It's probably a bit too early to say on this model but has anyone had the common shaft drive/wheel bearing problem that the LT, GS models had/have?
I'm sure this is a well meaning post but it really smacks of scaremongering!

Why not change the title of your post to 'Has anyone suffered Rear Shaft Failure'?

At least then it wont start a panic as soon as someone reads the forum.

The challenge with all the posts about RT and GS rear failures was blown out of all proportion, and I think most people now know that it's really only those with failures that posted on those threads. The 000's who had no problems were dwarfed by the 20 - 30 who did have problems.

Hope you find what you are looking for earthman - but a positive post start would be nice!

No offence intended.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Dominatio said:

Why not change the title of your post to 'Has anyone suffered Rear Shaft Failure'?

The challenge with all the posts about RT and GS rear failures was blown out of all proportion, and I think most people now know that it's really only those with failures that posted on those threads. The 000's who had no problems were dwarfed by the 20 - 30 who did have problems.

Hope you find what you are looking for earthman - but a positive post start would be nice!

No offence intended.
Plus 1

I'll add that the K1600 is a "Machine" & like ALL Machine there "WILL" be failures. Hell my water pump went out at 6000 miles.
Did I get it fixed? YES
Did it piss me off ? YES
Will I keep the bike? HELL YES
Will something else brake on the K1600? Most likely
Will I keep fixing & Riding the bike? Definitely

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dominatio said:

No offence intended.
OK, fair point, I would change the title, if I could, can't find an 'edit post' icon??

For those owners that did experience a failure, I bet they wouldn't say that it's blown out of proportion, sorry but I don't think that as a whole, BMW handled that issue very well.

If the shaft on this model is a whole new design, fingers crossed that they have got it right.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Some excellant replies guys! I agree that the FD thing became viral when compared to other problems with other make bikes. Lord knows this thing went nuts but I never had a problem with my LT and my kid never had a problem with his RT. That said I can understand why there is some question out there in cyberland pertaining to the reliability of 1600 final drives. As has been said I rue the day when someone that owns a 1600 has the FD go out because it will most likely start an avalanche of I told you so's. By the time that one persons FD issue gets on the net it will sound like every person that owns a 1600 will have had a broken FD.

THINK POSITIVE!!!!! Rick

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Ric said:
As has been said I rue the day when someone that owns a 1600 has the FD go out because it will most likely start an avalanche of I told you so's. By the time that one persons FD issue gets on the net it will sound like every person that owns a 1600 will have had a broken FD.
????

"I told you so." ????? I don't understand!

Things break and that's reality! Of course it is a PITA for the person who owns it, but like the K1200LT it was probably less than 4%.

96 did not have a problem. It was a non issue.

So far, the K1600GTL has been quite reliable out of the gate. ~1,300 sold and so far a lot of mostly quiet....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DanDiver said:
Things break and that's reality!
Yes, you are right there but I've never heard of that major component going on a Jap shaft drive bike, unless the whole machine is near the end of it's life.

OK, I know it's just the bearing as opposed to the whole unit but even so, on something that's designed to take those kind of forces, it should be up to the job in the first place. It's like a Jaguar or any other rear wheel drive car having prop/diff failure, it's practically unheard of.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
earthman said:
but I've never heard of that major component going on a Jap shaft drive bike, unless the whole machine is near the end of it's life..
You're kidding, right? Wing FD's have not proven to be failure-proof.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
mneblett said:
Either have V-stars, Triumphs, VT1100's... blah, blah, BLAH!

Hell, even Captain Kirk had a warp drive failure on more than one occasion:

Spock: " Ahh, Mr. Scott, I understand you’re having difficulty with the warp drive. How much time do you require for repair?"

Scotty: "There’s nothing wrong with the bloody thing!"
:alien:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Dan: If and when a 1600 has the final drive go out there WILL be a segment of motorcycling society that will jump all over it as proof positive that BMW has another runaway problem with final drives. Trust me, they are waiting in the wings for this to happen......
Rick

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Ric said:
Dan: If and when a 1600 has the final drive go out there WILL be a segment of motorcycling society that will jump all over it as proof positive that BMW has another runaway problem with final drives. Trust me, they are waiting in the wings for this to happen......
Rick
Naaaaaa we've grown up! More important things to be doing. Rather be the one riding than to be the one waiting in the wing...... Someday ?..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mneblett said:
No, I'm not kidding.

I've owned Wings and other Jap shaft drives, no one in the club I know has suffered either.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
earthman said:
No, I'm not kidding.

I've owned Wings and other Jap shaft drives, no one in the club I know has suffered either.
Sounds like to me you need to stay with Jap bikes then. My K12LT was totaled at 80K with the original FD. If the Fd on my K16 ever goes out I'll fix it & keep on riding. Besides that I WILL NEVER even worry about "If it ever happens". I'll ride across town or across the country WITH OUT worry.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JimE said:
Cool...we're up to 16 posts on a problem that doesn't exist.

But it could happen...
Good, let's hope there isn't a potential problem any more, I've not been around for a while so I were just asking.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So, most of us have not had any FD problems, seems clear. What I enjoy most is passing all those secure FD's with my highly suspect one. Just love it. :bmw:

·
Registered
910 Posts
The only thing that gets to me is that question was asked by you in no less than 3 sub forums. I know that I had concerns when I bought the LT. No more.

Maybe the wing is a better fit for you.

I enjoy the bike and will continue.
I have one REALLY BIG CONCERN and that is WHEN I ride the new 1600 ( test ride) I have to get rid of some of the ladies in the stable. I am so sure that when I ride a 1600, it's a done deal for me.

So I must tread lightly when I go by the dealer.....
Blinders on.....
Not yet Obi Wan...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts