BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I bought a 2003 LT from a friend and I thought the oil cover was leaking at first, but I am starting to change my mind. Possibly a rear main. I cleaned it and rode it with no leaks for two to three hundred miles, no problems.
Then it showed up. A drop the size of a nickel. Cleaned it again and rode it from Spokane WA to Missoula MT, no drips over night in Missoula and none when we got back the first night in Spokane. Rode it the next day around Spokane and the next day a quarter size drip again. Is it possible for the rear main to leak after only 6400 miles? It appears to be coming from between the engine and the clutch housing. Should I drill a weep hole int he clutch housing? What should I do next? Will over filling oil cause leakage? Any body in Spokane capable of doing the work or schooling me?
Thanks for the help
Jeff

·
Registered
453 Posts
Had a similar leak on a trip and pulled into a nice dealer in Philipsburg, NJ who pointed out that my oil was overfilled. I had just had a change done in Maryland. He drained some oil, and also did some other work for me and the problem was solved. I hope you have the same result.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I'll check the oil level I think it may be a little high. What about drilling a weep hole in the clutch housing?
Any more help or advise is greatly appreciated.
Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts