BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand, I can make my rear rotor ringing sound go away with RTV. After I squeeze it into the gap, do I then keep the rotor spaced away from, or push it into the wheel to cure?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You'll have to search the forum, but I always thought it was used in the rivet holes.

I always planned on just cleaning the rivets (Brake or Carb Cleaner) then fill the area with RTV.

Just a word of caution with RTV. Wait the 24 hours for the stuff to cure.

Joe

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why should I spend hundreds of $$$ on a new rotor? The rotor is not worn out!

·
Registered
493 Posts
joevano said:
Why should I spend hundreds of $$$ on a new rotor? The rotor is not worn out!
Are you sure? How bad is the noise? Did you get it checked or do you know the spec limit on the play in the rivets? I was way out of spec at 24k. The rotor itself was fine as far as thickness, but the play I had warranted replacement. Here is a link to what mine looked like.
I think once it is loose the wear accelerates. I don't know what the limits are or how to evaluate it, but mine was on the way out. I went with EBC because the dealer could not assure me I was going to get any more than 24k out of the next rotor from BMW and therefore couldn't justify the extra cost.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Buckelew said:
I'm getting ready to order a Galfer rear rotor and front/rear pads.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.
The Galfer I looked at a month ago was just the rotor with no hub. Are you planning to drill out the rivets and change the rotor? How are you going to reattach it? Did you find one with a hub? I heard Galfer was much higher quality than the EBC but I just couldn't see myself dealing with the hub swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts