BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent hours going over prior posts before I ask these questions. My rear rotor on my 05 has allot of side to side play. But I don't know how much is "allot" has anyone found a spec for allowable side movement that I could check with a dial indicator? Secondly, I read about guys going with the EBC aftermarket rotor. Does that come with the ABS ring as that is an integral piece on the new rotors.

Thanks for the the feedback.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
graydude said:
I've spent hours going over prior posts before I ask these questions. My rear rotor on my 05 has allot of side to side play. But I don't know how much is "allot" has anyone found a spec for allowable side movement that I could check with a dial indicator? Secondly, I read about guys going with the EBC aftermarket rotor. Does that come with the ABS ring as that is an integral piece on the new rotors.

Thanks for the the feedback.
The rear rotor will get quite loose. It's not a problem and unless the rattling noise bothers you not worth replacing because of it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Sounds like that famous BMW feature known as "cowbell"

Congratulations,

Loren

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Normal, don't worry about it. It has been designed that way.
EBC rear brakes kill the cowbell.....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Unless the rattle bothers you there is no need to replace it.

I got tired of hearing it and finally replaced mine last summer. The EBC rotor does not come with the ABS ring, you have to take it off the old rotor and install it on the the EBC. Not a hard job.

The rear brake felt better and it got rid of the squeal and howl from the stock combo too.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Todd I just replaced mine last month. Mine got to the place that the sound was embarrassing. I got the EBC it took about 1 hour to take the wheel off and to install the rotor. I got mine from Amazon. Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just play my music extra loud! Especially when coming up to a stop sign or stop light!

Of course if you wear your helmet, such as the Schuberth C3 and or another helmet with ear plugs and of course you music playing..........well you won't hear the "For Whom The Bell Tolls" tune! lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
As far as I'm concerned it's a recall problem that BMW didn't handle properly. It happened to too many of us to just be an ordinary wear & tear problem. They made an inferior product and I will always believe that they didn't handle it properly. They gave some owners, that were out of the warranty period, new rotors and others got nothing. Mine happened just as we launched into the recession and I got nothing in remuneration. I called the head office in Canada and they told me they were going to find out what the US office was doing before they gave me a reply. Can't the Canadian office think for themselves? I noticed that at the 2010 BMW Rally in Oregon that they didn't have a service rep answering questions like they did in 2009 at the Gillette Wyoming Rally. I think they knew there were a lot of owners going to ask them some pretty hard questions about their policy swings.

That's my thoughts on the rotor issue. Thanks for listening.

Bill
05 K1200 LT

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just replaced the BMW rotor on my 2005 at 27,000 miles. I changed the one on my 99 with an EBC over 60,000 miles ago and it's still going strong. Maybe BMW needs to hire an EBC engineer so they can learn how to make them last. Maybe we all just need to send them our old ones and after they receive a few thousand rotors they will acknowledge that there is a problem. At least they would have some units that they could inspect. If someone gets an address I have 2 to send them, just make it a US address they can forward them to Germany on there dime. Still love the bike!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Where else other than Amazon would you guys reccomend looking for the EBC rotor? It I fix the brake pump on my 04 and decide to keep the LT I will replace my loose stock rotor. Man...between the rattle and pad squeel.....pathetic.

Steve

OKAY.....I just saw them on the dennis Kirk site which is where I occcasionally buy from.

·
Registered
493 Posts
graydude said:
... I don't know how much is "allot" has anyone found a spec for allowable side movement that I could check with a dial indicator?
Secondly, I read about guys going with the EBC aftermarket rotor. Does that come with the ABS ring as that is an integral piece on the new rotors.
It isn't just annoying, there is a spec and you should get it checked, there is a point where it is unsafe. Unfortunately, as hard as I pressed the dealer when I was going through this, I never got a number. Very annoying when they can't come up with any real information.

The EBC rotor does not come with the ABS ring. The original one has to be moved over. I had no trouble with mine but there are several posters that had some difficulty but I didn't read anyone that could not get it changed over without damage.

Hope that helps. (I quickly read through the responses but I don't think anyone actually answered your questions. Maybe I missed it ;) )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts