BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't Ride for 4 days,,,,sad face!!

So I take off for work on my '02 LT early this morning and being in NE Ohio roads are horrible anyway... But I feel like I have a flat in the rear.... Stop give her a kick, has something....continue to work....

Again not sure if it the roads but seemingly bouncing like being in a '67 Electra 225 with no shocks....

Once at work I tested the air pressure, put her up on the center stand with what seemed to be much easier than ever ever before my 1st coffee...

NOTE: I am very new to the LT, previously had an RT for 15 years...

Up on the stand to me on flat ground it was odd that I could not pivot the bike to spin either the front or rear wheel.... Tire pressure was perfect....

Recent work:
Tires are new
new hyperPro springs on original shocks
changed preload oil

Looking at the Preload Adjust there was a drop of oil on the bottom of the adj cap and some on the hose.....

If this thing has leaked all the oil out, is the above the effects?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
If the load on the bike ( weight) has not changed, all the preload will do is raise or lower the rear suspension within its range of adjustment. If you are very light and have the preload cranked all the way up, you could be bouncing off the top of the shock travel. The HyperPro springs are progressively wound so would provide a higher spring rate sooner in the range of shock travel. How long have you had the springs installed. I am assuming that this feeling is something you did not notice the last time you rode the bike? Is there any oil leaking from the rear shock itself?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,429 Posts
Once on the center stand the effects of preload are gone as both shocks should be at full extension with the rear wheel off the ground by about 2 inches. If, on the center stand, both wheels are on the ground I would look at the rear shock as a possible failure point OR the center stand its self has collapsed. Length of the center stand from it's pivot point to the ground should be 8 inches.

·
Premium Member
8,022 Posts
Since your shock is apparently 20 years old, I would suspect shock failure. Many have internal rubber bumpers to ease the shock at full extension and compression. It may be that the extension bumper has failed letting the shock extend farther than normal, particularly with the additional force of the new spring. I would not put a new spring on a 20 year old shock. Better to replace the entire unit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once on the center stand the effects of preload are gone as both shocks should be at full extension with the rear wheel off the ground by about 2 inches. If, on the center stand, both wheels are on the ground I would look at the rear shock as a possible failure point OR the center stand its self has collapsed. Length of the center stand from it's pivot point to the ground should be 8 inches.
Exactly 8 inches

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since your shock is apparently 20 years old, I would suspect shock failure. Many have internal rubber bumpers to ease the shock at full extension and compression. It may be that the extension bumper has failed letting the shock extend farther than normal, particularly with the additional force of the new spring. I would not put a new spring on a 20 year old shock. Better to replace the entire unit.
New replacement on the way.... I've been continuing to commute to work, not fun.... She's clunking and rear wheel bouncing when I hit blips in the road,,,, I feel like I can no longer flat foot her anymore....

The new replacement

The replacement is 19 years old and 43K, still would not advise putting new spring on?

Thanks guys

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,429 Posts
As long as the shock shaft is still intact I say go for it.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As long as the shock shaft is still intact I say go for it.
I'm thinking of just servicing the new replacement preload and slapping it in for now and just riding.... Too much running around and additional down time to find someone to swap the spring out... I'll do the spring change over the winter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well today's the day the shock will be replaced.... I feel like maybe I've lost some weight over the last three weeks i've been riding my girl with basically riding a HARDTAIl and can feel it in my tail....
I haven't done much more then just commute to work so not a ton of miles, but is there anything specific that I should look for premature wear for riding this way?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
After putting her up on a 2x6, I then only had a 1/4 " of clearance.... and after getting in there here's what I found.... Appears the guy at the spring shop forgot to tighten the locking nut would be my only guess... I had originally thought the shock was kinda in the sprung open position.... Meanwhile it's like not even there...
Purple Violet Toilet Gas Tints and shades

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,095 Posts
I've seen that happen before. There is no reason to remove anything from that end to change the spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts