BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 LT with 34,000 miles. I purchased it used in November, '07 and I assume that the rear brake pads are original? I need to know what the "expected" life span of rear pads might be under "normal" riding conditions?
I removed the pads and they measure .216 on the inside one and .211 on the outside. I understand that they are considered OK until they mic .08".
I measured the entire pad....is the .08 MINUS the backing?
Help!
Ride Safe.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I can't really say what the expected lifetime is, but my '03 has 46k on the rear pads and they measure about the same as yours. I replaced the front pads at 24k because one of the pads was worn down to the backing plate, probably because the caliper stuck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I measured the backing and got a .116" thickness. I think this is close. I am using an old Starret caliper. That tells me that my pad material is around .100" thick. I have ordered replacement pads and will install them when they arrive. I do not want to wear them down to metal on metal.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
Bandit said:
I measured the backing and got a .116" thickness. I think this is close. I am using an old Starret caliper. That tells me that my pad material is around .100" thick. I have ordered replacement pads and will install them when they arrive. I do not want to wear them down to metal on metal.
You will know right away if you need replacing the pads once you get your new ones in and can compare with the old ones.;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bandit said:
I have an '03 LT with 34,000 miles. I purchased it used in November, '07 and I assume that the rear brake pads are original? I need to know what the "expected" life span of rear pads might be under "normal" riding conditions?
I removed the pads and they measure .216 on the inside one and .211 on the outside. I understand that they are considered OK until they mic .08".
I measured the entire pad....is the .08 MINUS the backing?
Help!
Ride Safe.
I too bought my 03 LTC in December of 2005 with the OEM breaks pads still intact at 13500 miles. Now in July I have 24k on her.
I made the switch to EBC because I was trying to eliminate the rear break noise only to find that the pads have little to do with this.
The actual problem is with the rear rotor itself. There is a thread that will tell you bad rotor from the good rotor. There is also a BMW service bulletin on this as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just replaced my rear pads at 41,000 miles. They were worn but not shot. The shop said they were OK for right now but would probably not last until the next service.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My '07 LT got 25k off the first set of rear pads. I just discovered last night that I'm down to the metal on the 2nd set at just 33k miles. I can't explain why I only got 8k off of these. No changes in riding style, etc., but I did have the rotor replaced per the Service Bulletin earlier this year to eliminate the brake squeal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts