BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many threads on brakes. But I have 13.5K on my 2005 LT and the rear pads look about 80% worn. I bought the bike last year with about 6K on it. Is this unusual wear?

Also I recently did the 12K service with all Beemer Bone Yard parts and couldn't be more pleased with the service or parts. I am considering the Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads they sell. Does anyone out there have any opinions on these pads or any better suggestions?

http://beemerboneyard.com/cl2987rx3.html

Thank's in advance!

·
Registered
809 Posts
When stopping or slowing, do you use both brakes or only the rear?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boy you guys are mind readers! Last bike was a Harley and yes I do rely on the rear brake more for slowing.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
tonygret said:
Boy you guys are mind readers! Last bike was a Harley and yes I do rely on the rear brake more for slowing.
You just answered your own question. There are a few brake pads threads floating around & it all boils down to YOUR braking habits. There is NO real answer, some last longer then others. Best bet it to just check them at every oil change or 6000 miles.
I use Premium BMW pads, some use EBC and so on.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm sure there are many threads about using both brakes, and I believe your model has "linked" brakes. If you apply the front or rear only, it applies a portion of pressure to the opposite brake that was not squeeze/pressed.

70% of braking power is on the front brake; weight transfer during the decel results in the front brake having more traction and less weight/traction on the rear tire. Some folks here predominately use front brake; given the wheelbase of the LT, a stoppie is practically impossible.

This may explain why your rear brake is 80% used up: you are only using the rear brake and getting only "some" front brake stopping power as a result of the linked brake system.

Practice using both brakes during stopping or slowing. Of course, then, your front brakes will wear more but then, you have twin discs up front.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
You guys with the OLD bikes have to remember - from 2001 and up you can not use just rear or just front. The brakes are integral you get the same brake force to both wheels if you jam the pedal or squeeze the hand grip. There is no difference except under very light application of the control inputs. I agree one should maintain the habit of using both for when you ride a bike other than the LT. But on the LT (2001+) it makes no difference.

Now I made it to 30K before I replaced the rears on my 05. They started wearing when I began dragging a little rear brake as I down shifted to the red lights. I realised by down shifting to slow I was not illuminating the stop lamps!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I just replaced my rears at 43,080 miles. There was just a little bit of pad on them but I felt I was applying more force on the brake lever when I needed to stop.

When I checked fronts they looked good as new! I last changed them at 24K.

Even though they're integrated on my '03, I use the rear brake exclusively in parking lots and other slow moving situations. That's why I think I wore the rear down so much.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads, Yes I use them from Beemer Bone Yard. They work just fine, two up on the LT.

Oh BTW, use the Double HH ones.......

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
amarider said:
Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads, Yes I use them from Beemer Bone Yard. They work just fine, two up on the LT.

Oh BTW, use the Double HH ones.......
My first set of Carbone Lorraine pads were marked *Sport*, and they squealed somethang awful. Dealer called supplier and supplier recommended swapping to the *Touring* version. Since then, a VERY slight squeal now and then, and a good stoppie takes care of that!!

Edit: I just found my invoice for the Carbone brake pads, and see that I used the wrong terms in describing the pads for the swap. Correct words are in red now.

·
Registered
797 Posts
jzeiler said:
You guys with the OLD bikes have to remember - from 2001 and up you can not use just rear or just front. The brakes are integral you get the same brake force to both wheels if you jam the pedal or squeeze the hand grip. There is no difference except under very light application of the control inputs. I agree one should maintain the habit of using both for when you ride a bike other than the LT. But on the LT (2001+) it makes no difference.

Now I made it to 30K before I replaced the rears on my 05. They started wearing when I began dragging a little rear brake as I down shifted to the red lights. I realised by down shifting to slow I was not illuminating the stop lamps!
I have a 2001 and can apply either front, rear or both. I can also trail brake in very sharp turns. I think you mean 2002 and older.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Depends on the build date. The 2001 model year is when they went to integral brakes so it is about half and half as I have seen both. I believe anything built after 03/2001 is integral.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced them last week and measured a little less than 2mm lining left. Everything looks good now and no squeal at all. Only took about 15 minutes and like a lot of things I am finding out that for the most part servicing this bike is easier than it looks. I probably had another 2K but brakes aren't something I want to take to the limit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts