BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...let me see if any of you have run into this...

I'll sadly admit that I have not -- now that my employment is 100% home based -- been putting on the kind of moto-miles to which I have been accustomed.

How lame am I? .... well when i went to look at the maintenance logs on my LT, it showed that I had ridden the bike something like 6000 miles in 16 months.

my shame knows no bounds. :-(

anyhoo....my bike had developed a leaky rear main seal. i added 5 minutes with a new bosch 12v rechargable drill and added the intermediate housing weep hole...after every significant ride, i'd get a small drop of oil on the garage floor under the weep hole.

so i just did an oil service -- I removed the BMW 10w50 oil - dino, natch - as the amount of sitting the bike had been doing had no doubt broken the oil down through acids and condensation -- and refilled using some nice spectro 20w50 dino.

and -- here's the weird bit -- the leak has stopped.

read that again -- the leak has stopped.

me -- i work as a 'fixer', so things like this have me going ape to come up with an explanation. was the previous (thinner) oil so trashed that it was able to go past the main seal? was the heavier weight oil enough to bring the system back into proper operation? does spectro have some seal conditioners that swelled the seal so that it started working again?

or is this just one of those things that defy explanation and i should just be of good cheer and accept it as one of those 'you ate the bear' moments?

It almost enought to make ya get religion. Hallelujah ! ;-)

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm speechless....now, that's a miracle.:rotf:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I may have received a similar miracle early into my ownership of my used 03. I purchased the bike with 30,000 miles, not long after SO and I were riding when I encountered the infamous high gear clutch slip on a pass. I had read enough here to go oh sh--... here we go.

I was determined I was going to make darn sure the clutch was gone, proceeded to wring it out...no slip. 5 years later now with 75,000 miles, same clutch which I continue to flog.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
My opinion is that the dino oil swelled the seal, although I do not think that you would see the results this fast.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,116 Posts
I had oil there off and on for three years, then the clutch started slipping in 5th. Drove it another 6 months and when I tore it down there was lots of wear and some slight oil contamination. It really takes a while for that seal (actually it is the o-ring on the shaft not the seal that usually leaks) to contaminate the clutch.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Was it over-filled before?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
There's no mention of you "taking a ride"
these bikes are "very sensitive" kinda like a woman or a puppy,
if you ignore them,...... they'll "act up"
give them a little attention and ......."they'll love you back" :)

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
if you ignore them,...... they'll "act up"
I rode mine everyday and the rear main seal started leaking at 48k.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
give them a little attention and ......."they'll love you back" :)
Ok, you rode her everyday,
did you give her "attention" and make her feel "special"
a few compliments maybe?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, my LT NEVER sits.

It gets run at least 3 out of every 7 days, and when it gets ridden, its ususally for at least 50-60 miles and usually in a fairly sprirted fashion.

Bike has a tick under 60k on the clocks, and has now been out at least dozen times since the oil change. One can see the stain on the floor where it had been marking its spot, but there have been no new oil drops.

Guess we're going to just ride it, and see where we are in 5-6 thousand miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts