BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gene
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I go and do something stupid, how do you get access to change the bulbs in for the rear lights? It's probably so simple I am just missing something.

Thank You

Gene

·
Registered
196 Posts
Easy peasy mate

G'day Gene

Open up your panniers, there is a bolt going into the side of the bike. Under these suckers on both sides and the tail light will then be easy to remove. There are a couple of aligning nipples on the top of the tail light which guide it into place when you replace it. The bolts (I found anyway :) ) were reasonably easy to relocate and retighten the tail light assembly.

HTH

·
Gene
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks guys. I don't think I would have ever figured that out. I was at the point of thinking about prying on the tail light assembly. Thanks again.

Gene

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
RaffyK said:
When re-installing, make sure you don't pinch any wires.
Be real careful about this. I spent a good part of the CCR tech session rewiring someone's LT after pinched brake wires caused the wiring harness to melt all the way up under the seat. To be fair, there were several additional lights connected, as well as a trailer wiring harness all shoved into a tiny space.

We managed to rig up some temporary tail and brake lights to get him home, but had to cut out several feet of the stock harness to get to wires good enough to splice to. A proper fix would have required a complete wiring harness for the bike. $$$ :(

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rear Bulbs

Do NOT use an automotive bulb that "looks the same". The wattage may be different and melt the tail light housing. Make sure you get the correct wattage for both filiments. DAMHIK. Of course, when I had this SNAFU it was exacerbated by a failing brake light relay, which caused more "on time"....

·
Registered
179 Posts
The rest of the story;)

meese said:
Be real careful about this. I spent a good part of the CCR tech session rewiring someone's LT after pinched brake wires caused the wiring harness to melt all the way up under the seat.(

As I was standing around getting in Ken’s way and being a general pest :)while he was trying to sort out the mess of the wiring bundle. We did indeed find set of brake light wires had been pinched the last time the light assembly was installed. This was the reason for the blown fuse to start with, but not the reason for the wiring bundle to melt.

As I was talking with the guy it seems on the way to Jackson he had blown the fuse. He replaced it and it blew again. Then someone suggested installing a larger amp fuse than call for, which apparently was tried. Witch resulted in a burnt up wiring bundle.

So the moral of the story, boyz and girlz, is if you blow a fuse and the replacement blows also, then chances are something is wrong. And unless you are some kind of electoral guru, or play one on TV, DO NOT put a larger amperage fuse in to see if it will do the job. That is unless you are really, really curious at to how much it cost to replace a wiring harness :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
By the way, the 2005 doesn't use the same 10mm bolt to remove the taillight assembly as the earlier models--it uses a 5mm Allen wrench.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have a 2005 and it takes a 10mm wrench.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sharkey said:
I have a 2005 and it takes a 10mm wrench.

aaaaahhhh the 2005 models at it again.

bmw must have changed a few things in production again.
there is a few discrepencies with the 2005 model with things that have changed along the line, tools kits is one that pops to mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts