BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I was riding with my wife this weekend, and when she plugged in the passenger headset, the plastic cover ring snapped off. Now the plug is loose in the mounting hole, and the BMW dealer says that BMW will not sell the plug and/or plastic cover separately. BMW says the only way to get the part is to replace the intercom unit completely!! They also suggested that I buy a powerlet plug with cover ($46.50 + shipping) and try to switch the cover to the headset plug.

Does anyone know where to source a new rear headset plug with cover, or better yet, just a cover? Thanks for any advice that you can give!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
mtndave said:
Help! I was riding with my wife this weekend, and when she plugged in the passenger headset, the plastic cover ring snapped off. Now the plug is loose in the mounting hole, and the BMW dealer says that BMW will not sell the plug and/or plastic cover separately. BMW says the only way to get the part is to replace the intercom unit completely!! They also suggested that I buy a powerlet plug with cover ($46.50 + shipping) and try to switch the cover to the headset plug.

Does anyone know where to source a new rear headset plug with cover, or better yet, just a cover? Thanks for any advice that you can give!!
Just checked MaxBMW fiche & they are not an item. There suggestion is mybe an option. You could also try BeemerBoneYard, you might luck in. Another option maybe try some of the electronic shop/online you might track something down that would fit/replace the broken cover.

You could also try using one of the repair plastic bonds (JB Weld), if the cover isn't in too many pieces, use some screen door mesh to cover it & after a mate black paint to cover the bond.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll try the salvage source, and may have to resort to buying another powerlet plug for the cover.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Check out the Powerlet site, they have those covers available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas! I have now ordered the Powerlet plug cover, and I have also ordered a new plug with cover (approx. $40.00) from J & M just in case. They should arrive early next week, so I look forward to fixing this little problem.

Thanks again for a couple of great ideas!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts