BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming home from France we experienced the most solid fog most of the way. This got me thinking that the back of the bike could do with a high intensity fog lamp. Has anyone done a mod like this? I have found a square on that fits on a panel and I am considering under the number plate.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It doesn't have to be a fog light and fog lights don't have to be white. One of the vendors at the Falling Leaf had bright red light ( I believe it was LED) that could be mounted on the rear of a bike with an indicator switch up front to turn it on and off. It was used for bad rain and weather, not just fog. F1 uses them in the rain. Try here http://www.rallylights.com/hella/backup.asp and scroll down a half page.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Likewise.

ironbuttwannabe said:
I don't know about England, but in US it is illegal to mount a white light pointing backwards. Unless it is only on while backing.
Maybe you misunderstand? A rear fog light is high intensity red. A white light to the rear is only permitted for reversing, obviously similar to your regs.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=CP01047

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
McAllister said:
It doesn't have to be a fog light and fog lights don't have to be white. One of the vendors at the Falling Leaf had bright red light ( I believe it was LED) that could be mounted on the rear of a bike with an indicator switch up front to turn it on and off. It was used for bad rain and weather, not just fog. F1 uses them in the rain. Try here http://www.rallylights.com/hella/backup.asp and scroll down a half page.
In the UK there are strict rules about rear fog lights. They must never be used except in poor visibility. In particular, their use in rain is frowned upon due to the glare produced. They must only come on while the sidelight circuit is energised and must have a warning lamp.

Used sensibly, I think they make a big contribution to road safety.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
It would be nice to have something that strobed some colors, including
red, to warn off folks approaching fast. Something to let them know
just before they run you over....

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ajlelectronics said:
Maybe you misunderstand? A rear fog light is high intensity red. A white light to the rear is only permitted for reversing, obviously similar to your regs.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=CP01047
I didn't think about another color other than white. My bad. I think some high visiblity strips would also do a great deal. And it is very cheap to put them on.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
My Audi Q7 has a rear fog light. The port side tail light runs 3-4 times brighter when it's activated. Since most BMW bikes come in one of the traditional Bavarian 40 shades of gray a fog light seems like a great idea.

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
I had dual-function Hyper Lites (running lights and brake lights) put on at CCR and I'm very impressed with their intensity. Maybe there is a way to engage them into flashing mode (as if the brakes were applied), or in the secondary mode (on, but not flashing -- very bright) at will, without applying the brakes.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think Ari said that some people have used the center light on the rear as a fog light. The center light has two filaments but only one is used for running lights. The other filament isn't connected but there is a terminal on the bulb socket so it is relatively easy to run a wire and switch to it.

I connected this to an electronic flasher so that it would blink whenever I had the brakes on. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14642&highlight=electronic+flasher

Just curious, wouldn't the hazard flashers work better than a steady red light in limited visibility?

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
469 Posts
I also have hyperlites on my UK bike. Currently they're only connected to the brake and flash along with the regular brake light (interesting comments at MoT time, but don't contravene the regs!). I'm sure another set wired to a switch would work great in fog as they are quite bright. Very expensive in the UK, though, so get them from the US if you can.

As to the use of fog lights in the UK - sure the laws are there but when was the last time any traffic cop enforced them? In fact, when was the last time you saw any traffic cops outside a town or not parked up with a radar camera on the M1??? Round here I haven't seen a police car out of town for years, and only see them in town because the main police station is just a couple of miles away and almost next door to Tesco........ The cops are all in their offices writing up the paperwork to support the on-the-spot fines they hand out to local yobs when the pubs throw out. Not their fault, perhaps, but the ACPO's don't do anything about it either.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kevincook said:
The center light has two filaments but only one is used for running lights. The other filament isn't connected but there is a terminal on the bulb socket so it is relatively easy to run a wire and switch to it.
Now THAT is interesting. It should be just the job and may have been designed for the purpose. I will look at that. It will look neater than an add on, but there is still the switching to design and install.

kevincook said:
Just curious, wouldn't the hazard flashers work better than a steady red light in limited visibility?
Perhaps so, but a) that would contravene Road Traffic Acts and b) There would be no way to signal a turn. The rear fog lamp spec is 21W the same as a brake light, so a useful improvement in visibility.

On top of that, the following traffic seeing hazard lights would assume that the vehicle in front had stopped.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
577 Posts
this is what i did

PIAA has some Hi intensity LED's in both red and white.
I put the red on the back for a fog light and a set of white on each side in the front.

The switch is from blue sea marine switch Top is for front set and bottom is for rear. center will be used for fuel pump for Aux fuel tank to be added at a later time

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two steps forward . . . .

kevincook said:
I think Ari said that some people have used the center light on the rear as a fog light. The center light has two filaments but only one is used for running lights.
My investigation shows this to be the case. I am now trying to find a way of controlling it. I have tried to thread a cable through the existing grommet, but I cand find where the cable might emerge. It seems to go into the backside of the pannier and then vanish. The loom seems not to appear in the tail section.
Anyone know what route it takes and if it is easy to get to?

The other option is to be clever and use some logic to switch the beam on. Something like 8 brake light flashes with the tail light on and the hazards going, and then drops out when the tail light goes off again? No indicator would be possible then and it is part of our regs that it should have one. Still, nobody but me would know it was even there I suppose!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts