BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of us in the US with small license plates, what are you doing (if anything) about the area below it which was to support the larger european plates? Maybe a BMW Roundel? It just looks unfinished to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Someone a while back, on an LT, mounted a very inconspicuous locking mail box that was pretty cool. I might use look around for one and use it to store tools and a compressor....both of which I never had to use on the last bike.

·
IBR# 366
16,592 Posts
You mean this:

Believe it or not, that is actually a wall-mounted mailbox that I use to store my half-cover. I was wandering through Home Depot one day looking for storage solutions, and noticed that this mailbox had the right size and shape. For less than $20, it was worth a try. It's a small pain to tuck the cover in from the top (because the taillight protrudes), but it has worked great for well over 100K miles.

If I was doing it again, I might look at this model instead. The cost is a bit higher, but it has a much larger door opening. Might even be able to store the tire repair kit back there as well.

Or if that's too much, you can always go with a soft camera case like this:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
katnapinn said:
State inspection sticker here in Texas & Yes I use the same "Speed Tape"
as you do :histerica

Steve,
No state inspection sticker needed here, but I am curious to know about the black plastic plate behind the license plate and inspection sticker. Where did that come from? It might be a better place to mount a roundel than what I've got.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
MrBreeze said:
Steve,
No state inspection sticker needed here, but I am curious to know about the black plastic plate behind the license plate and inspection sticker. Where did that come from? It might be a better place to mount a roundel than what I've got.
It comes from the Dealer. You can get it in plastic or metal.
HERE IS ONE On E-Bay.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Ok...so I give(dumdass) Why do people cover their plate for photos? :confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
maybee so no one can see thier plate numbers and look them up to come and steel thier bike, which, if you think about it, most people have thier name and city state posted so it is really defeating the purpose.

On the other hand, maybee someone would fab up a plate with the same exact numbers as someone else so they can commit a crime and make someone else responsable.

with zabasearch, intellasearch etc.. i can get more info on a person than thier plate for only 20 bucks. but oh well.

I could see the speed tape for red light/traffic cameras, but i think someone might get pulled over before that happened, then again, they could say to the cop they were covering it for a pic and forgot to take it off.........

·
Registered
112 Posts
D.Kinsey said:
Ok...so I give(dumdass) Why do people cover their plate for photos? :confused:
I think it is usually to try to stay annonymous on the forums; just my guess. My forum ID is my name so I guess it's too late for me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks for all those photos of the license plate area. Now I'm optimistic that my Brake/Taillight kit can be adapted to the GT/GTL (see attached photo). It needs an opening size of 3 9/16 x 5 7/16. Anyone care to measure to see if it'll fit?

Hopefully there'll be some GTLs at CCR and I can check it out. See you guys there.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
larryschumer said:
Thanks for all those photos of the license plate area. Now I'm optimistic that my Brake/Taillight kit can be adapted to the GT/GTL (see attached photo). It needs an opening size of 3 9/16 x 5 7/16. Anyone care to measure to see if it'll fit?
Larry,
I measured 4 1/2 inches from the bottom of my license frame to the point at the fender where it breaks outward. You can see that the area isn't flat, but I would think you could use of of the inspection tag back plates (by doing a search, it looks like they are available in plastic as well as plate aluminum) or a custom back plate, you could mount your brake/tail light assembly.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
larryschumer said:
Hopefully there'll be some GTLs at CCR and I can check it out. See you guys there.
Larry
I'll have my GTL there. I will have it at the afternoon Tech Session on Wednesday

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks Scott and Steve. I think I'll have to use the plastic inspection tag plate--maybe include one in the kit. I'll have a vendor table set up by myself (Raffy can't make it this year) to sell my LT kits. If you can stop by with a GTL, maybe we can see what fits.

Also, I guess we have the CANBUS thing to deal with. I'm hoping the the small load that my LED accessories put on the system will be ignored by CANBUS. There's one way to find out...

See you guys soon--ride safe.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It looks like the LED brake light will mount there.As soon as mine gets here I'll see if one

fits.

·
IBR# 366
16,592 Posts
Heli said:
What licence plate?
Did the rear fender fall off, taking the plate with it? Nothing looks broken under there . . . :confused:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine looks like that now too. I am swapping out the GTL rack for a GT rack in order to move the top box closer to the passenger and in order to access the rear most screws that hold thre rack, you have to remove the rear fender assembly. 4 screws up under the fender and the rear fender assembly comes right off making it look like a sport bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts