BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happened ! I was on the way to the Great Chicken Rally and just north east of Dayton when the rear end went but not as suddenly as a lot it was noise for a while and I thought it was the road because it started and stopped several times.

Then on a quiet back road it made started to rumble and wobble, So I stopped and called a friend who had a trailer and picked me and the bike up locally. Lucky streak one!

We called the local shops one at Columbus Ohio and one at Athens but both were closed on the Monday, so Tuesday we got on the phone First was Columbus they do not repair the differentials only new and that would be 1,800 plus dollars and take two days.

That was a shock but with all the trouble with the rear end I guess they want BMW to take the blame if anything happened, at that I tried the internet to see if there was any used ones to get quickly but nothing at that time.

Finally the Athens shop was open so I called them and not only could the fix the problem but could work me in right away, so off we went the "Holt's BMW in Athens, where the bike was taken in right away and they told me that the cost would be reasonable.

That was close to 10:30 we went for brunch and when we returned Bill the mechanic was putting it back together 2.3 hours later and a bill of $335 as they had the bearing there at the time.

What Luck and what a great shop if your anywhere in the area and need help give them first try as they will try their hardest to make it work

Did the rally and home to Ontario and it works great, they did say that I had stopped quickly enough as to not damage any other parts so that was also lucky.

The one thing I noticed was that all the balls seemed to be still in the inner and outer race it was the cage that was in pieces, so the balls kept moving around in the races until they all could get to one side.

Talk about having luck I had it 3 times over and saved my self $1,500

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am glad it turned out well for you. $350 is indeed a fair price and they obviously did not take advantage of the situation where you were desperate to get it fixed. You were also lucky they had the bearing there. Now the question is did they preload it properly by using the correct spacer ring or did they just reuse the old one. Keep an eye or an hear on it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
How many miles on it?

Yes the dealer was very fair to you. It is interesting that he had the bearing in stock. Maybe BMW is getting a little more heads-up on the service aspects of this problem. You might check with the dealer to see if they checked the preload, and how.

If they simply replaced the bearing (which is also legitimate to get you on your way), you may want remove the FD when convenient and send it to CharlieVT of this forum to have the preload more formally checked. I think he has a good technically sound procedure. It is shown in a video he has posted elsewhere in this site.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
niel_petersen said:
It is interesting that he had the bearing in stock. Maybe BMW is getting a little more heads-up on the service aspects of this problem. .
:rotf: :rotf:

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I have been in the same spot too many times. The chances that they had the right shims is very small IMHO. Got you home, which is the main thing at the time, but that needs a good check out. Give them a call and don't give them the opportunity to just say 'no, we did it all, your fine'.
The last rebuild I had without shim check lasted less than 2k, the first less than 200 miles!
Watch CharlieVTs vid to see what your up against.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Or just get a slightly used rear drive from E-bay as a back up :) in case...

c00k1e said:
I have been in the same spot too many times. The chances that they had the right shims is very small IMHO. Got you home, which is the main thing at the time, but that needs a good check out. Give them a call and don't give them the opportunity to just say 'no, we did it all, your fine'.
The last rebuild I had without shim check lasted less than 2k, the first less than 200 miles!
Watch CharlieVTs vid to see what your up against.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny that you say "BMW is getting smart" as it was "Holt" that had the bearing and they said that they like to keep some spare ones on hand for that reason.

Don't get me wrong it was not a total rebuild but it was not the bearing but the cage that was broke, and I am looking at having the unit rebuilt by Bruno's in Iron Bridge, Ontario.

There was and still is no slack or play in the gears that we could see but did not go into doing the actual test, so I will do the unit over to be safe.

Holt gets a fair number of repairs on the rear drives and said that they have not had them come back,. they actually looked like they know their bikes with out bragging about it.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
That was a great price. I would have gladly paid that in Grand Junction when I broke down last year. I paid $160 for the bearing and $34 for the seal out of OKC to fix mine. I did the wrenching. A local bearing place had the bearing for about the same price and one for $300 in Houston. I have 9,000 miles on it now and counting.......... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts