BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Rear ended...

9K views 68 replies 24 participants last post by  jono 
#1 ·
So, I bought my first BMW on June 15th. A 2022 R1250RT. On June 17th (my second ride) I was promptly rear ended by an inattentive driver at a stoplight. I think I had 225 miles on the odometer.

Sigh.

I spoke with the dealer yesterday and they're estimating $8000+ of bodywork replacement. I expected this. I also asked about internal damage and they said that they could not detect any after a couple test rides.

The collision was low speed; he hit me while accelerating one way and looking another and the damage was spread evenly across the saddlebags and rear tire. The bike was ridable after the accident; I rode it about a mile to an appointment and then called for a tow.

My question is, for anyone who has experienced this manner of collision, when I get the bike back, is there anything I should look for that might indicate looming problems?

#3 ·
Very true.

I "flew" forward and right of the bike (I just didn't want it to land on me) and landed on my right knee and right arm. Helmet never touched the ground. I banged my shin somehow and may have messed up my shoulder and knee but the doc doesn't think things are too serious.

I'm trying my best to put things in perspective.

#4 ·
I'm not litigious by nature, but let me be the first to say "SIGN NOTHING, FULL MEDICAL CHECK-UP, LAWYER (yours!)". Protect your rights, now up front, and later, should you have problems (you or your bike). If it's not too late, ask to have the accident written up by the local PD or Sheriff, and get a copy of that report. Insurance companies (particularly his, which is liable) will do things up front to get you to sign away your rights. Be careful.

The person who negligently hit you may be the nicest, normally most alert person in the world. I don't want to hurt anyone, or make this person suffer, but THEY definitely hurt and damaged you. It'd help of if your lawyer was an ethical guy, and not the normal junkyard dog variety out to line is pockets with as high a settlement (and as much a % of the settlement) as possible. I like settlements, myself, which while not being quite a win-win, at least are considerate of both sides.

One more thing. Even if the BMW dealer repairs the bike, there's nothing to prevent you from having a third party (maybe an good independent BMW specialty shop look at the post accident bike pictures, from every angle you can get, and look at the bike after the work is done, BEFORE you sign off to the other drivers insurance company that the work is complete. (Or, have the 3rd party look it over before the dealer begins work, look at their repair order, parts order, and see if they concur.)

While I'm ecstatic that you weren't hurt (Praise the Lord!), I'm also quite saddened for you and your situation. Hope it works out. 👍✝

#7 ·
Like everyone else, glad you got out of this ok.

As far as the bike is concerned, the likely damage apart of bodywork would be to the frame and swing arm. I would get a good body shop to check for alignment. Testrides by the dealer's capable (or not) mechanics are not an objective conclusion.

As a minimum I would check wheel alignment and a very careful look at the swing arm to make sure the rear tyre took all the forces and not the arm. Good luck.

#8 ·
You don't say whether you call the PD to report the crash. If you didn't, you need to file a police report. There is potential for hidden damage that even the dealer may have missed that may prove to be a problem later and if there's no police report, you may have lost any chance of recourse in the future.

I'd possibly consider this differently if, for example, this happened to me on my 07 with 150K on it but you have a new bike with 225 miles on it - and $8K damage --- that you know about now - with no guarantee that is the extent of the damage. And as noted above - that crash is now on record at least with the dealership - and that alone devalues the bike on resale.

As noted above - get/make a police report, get an attorney.

#9 ·
I've been rear-ended. Twice. Both times when I was in Germany. In both cases I remained on the bikes as I was pushed onto the sidewalk. The hit on my former 1984 R100RS resulted in no damage on the bike. Impact was on the corner of the right saddlebag. It also stayed on the bike. The car was not as lucky. It sustained a broken left headlight and dented body panel. Always makes me grin when I think about it 😁

#10 ·
Front Ended....

6/322 Was traveling home from one of my BBQ Friday rides when I got stuck behind a residential garbage truck, was not relishing the thought of having to follow him. Well he stops, I stop then I notice his back up lights come on, I start blowing my horn(sound bomb) but to no avail.
Automotive parking light Helmet Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Light Vehicle Black Automotive design
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Product

No damage to me but bike is a different story. Don't have a local BMW dealer so I loaded on trailer. Got the final tab on repairs $9274....and other than a dented front rim all of it is cosmetic, it even bent the Ilium crash bars....all the plastic back to the badge panel will need to be replaced. The headlight is more expensive than the rim......

Now I have to worry about which part is going to get me behind "the supply chain eight ball"

I think this answers the age old question of which is more expensive Harley Chrome or BMW Plastic

#11 · (Edited)
I'm in the same boat as you guys. Had a minor accident, bike went down and the Illium bars took most of the damage the rest was cosmetic scratches to body work. $9000 in repairs. This happened April 4th of this year. I still don't have my bike as the dealer is still waiting for the headlight assembly. Progressive insurance has been great thru the whole thing . I'm very lucky I have another bike but waiting for the parts is ridiculous . The dealer told me that the parts come from Germany and there is no way to know when they will get here until they actually get to USA shores. He wants my bike out of there and is doing his best. It's a 2015 model but I love it and still looks literally brand new. I almost went for a new 2022 but the TFT isn't doing it for me and not worth spending 10-12G to upgrade. UHG!

#12 ·
Thanks for the advice, everyone. The police were called and a state trooper that was just passing by a couple minutes after the incident was actually the one that handled it. My wife dragged me to the emergency room that evening for a checkup. They did a battery of x-rays and I followed up this week with my doctor. There may be some MRIs in the future, depends on how I progress. So far, so good.

Reactions: reg26
#13 ·
Yeah reg26, if not for the crash bars the right side of bike would have been destroyed including the pannier case
With what you stated wonder if I can get the bike totaled

#15 ·
Well the insurance company would have totaled it but I asked her to please don't. The adjuster said she has never in all here years seen a bike that still looked brand new, she was shocked at how clean it was. They only give you I think I remember her saying %75 on the book value. I had receipts for everything I have done to it and sent them to her so I got a little over 9K. The claim was not my fault so my rates wont go up and what the heck am I going to buy set up like mine and knowing how I took care of it. Like I said before I thought about just taking the money and getting a 22 but the TFT really turns me off and I'm not crazy about the new colors. Who knows the last claim I had (two bent rims from a pot hole) I actually made a couple hundred :)

#17 ·
Scott, I have the Denali SoundBomb on the bike....I suspect that there might have been ear buds or head phones involved....one has to wonder why there was no back camera on the truck...It wasn't a locally owned truck, Waste Management owned

Reactions: Scott9999
#21 ·
Hmmm, I hear Afghanistan might have a few that they found after taking over, and everything there is for sale. Maybe eBay or Alibaba (for a knock off/clone)? 😁
However, don't ask me how wire it up and integrate it into the Whizzy Wheel functionality. You don't happen to have the "HUD" helmet headset? Nevermind. For that, take the missile and your bike to your closest BMW dealer. 👍 I'm sure they've done stuff like that before. 🤣

#24 ·
Oh man, glad you are ok. I worry about that exact scenario constantly. I've added additional rear (and front) lighting which I think/hope helps. The Clearwater Billie brake allows me to squeezed the brake and flash riders as they are coming up on me. Only works if they are paying attention, I guess.

#37 ·
Oh man, glad you are ok. I worry about that exact scenario constantly. I've added additional rear (and front) lighting which I think/hope helps.
My practice is to slow and stop well short of where I need to finally stop at an intersection or what have you, observing the vehicle behind me to see if they are slowing. After confirming this I continue to slowly advance to my intended stopping position. I think this helps over blindly assuming the vehicle behind you will indeed stop.

Reactions: gary45
#27 ·
I’m so sorry for your accident. While I don’t have any experience about problem after a returned vehicle that’s been damaged, What I WOULD do is get an LED taillight setup that goes BRIGHT when the brakes are applied. My wife and I both have 2018 RTs and I put them on BOTH. My wife has said that when the brakes are applied, IT IS OBVIOUS. Can’t say it wouldn’t have helped you in this instance but any enhancement that improves safety is worth the cost when you’re on a motorcycle. People are texting, talking on their phones and putting us riders in DANGER. I wish you good health.

#28 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses; so much good info.

Good news on the bike front... The insurance company has the estimate and is sending me a check the cover the initial repairs. The check should arrive next Tuesday, but we will be on a family vacation until the following week. I talked with the dealer, and they agreed to order the parts BEFORE I pay for the repairs. Still looking at 2-3 weeks before I can pick her up. Bad news is that one of the panels that was scratched is not available from BMW yet. I can live with a dinged panel for a while.

There is a private BMW mechanic nearby that I think I will visit for a second opinion on the frame/drivetrain damage. Insurance said that I would have to pay for the initial diagnostic but, if anything is found, they will reimburse.

Probably looking at MRIs on my knee and shoulder. Nothing debilitating but still some pain after almost two weeks of Tylenol and ice and reduced activity.

I agree with the flashing brake lights. Conspicuity is key! I had Hyperlights on my last sport-tourer and intend to get something of the sort for this one. Once I'm sure that everything is fixed to my satisfaction, I might also get the surface-to-surface missiles or some sort of Phalanx system to protect my rear.

Reactions: pkpr1998
#29 ·
"they could not detect any after a couple test rides. "

That isn't good enough, IMHO. You might discover weird tire wear or strange noises/vibrations later on. It isn't a car! There are a lot of motorcycle lawyers out there. They may be ambulance chasers, but it's worth a phone call.

Good luck man and glad there was no apparent physical damage to you! Scott9999 has the best advise.

#30 ·
I would not cash that insurance check until you are 100% sure you have no medical issues and that you have successfully resolved all the damage on your motorcycle.

I assume the insurance company that is providing you a check is the driver's insurance company that re-ended you?

#31 ·
I had a similar incident with my 2004RT at a stop light but I didn't go down. I had my feet on the ground and landed straight. The rear tire took all the impact and damages were just cosmetic on the rear. My bags were ok. For that reason I have P-3 extra rear lights along with Billy Junior from Clearwater. Plus all reflective stickers everywhere. Stay safe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.