BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
2018 R1200RT
^^^^ Where do I get one
Hmmm, I hear Afghanistan might have a few that they found after taking over, and everything there is for sale. Maybe eBay or Alibaba (for a knock off/clone)? 馃榿
However, don't ask me how wire it up and integrate it into the Whizzy Wheel functionality. You don't happen to have the "HUD" helmet headset? Nevermind. For that, take the missile and your bike to your closest BMW dealer. 馃憤 I'm sure they've done stuff like that before. 馃ぃ

Registered
So, I bought my first BMW on June 15th. A 2022 R1250RT. On June 17th (my second ride) I was promptly rear ended by an inattentive driver at a stoplight. I think I had 225 miles on the odometer.

Sigh.

I spoke with the dealer yesterday and they're estimating $8000+ of bodywork replacement. I expected this. I also asked about internal damage and they said that they could not detect any after a couple test rides.

The collision was low speed; he hit me while accelerating one way and looking another and the damage was spread evenly across the saddlebags and rear tire. The bike was ridable after the accident; I rode it about a mile to an appointment and then called for a tow.

My question is, for anyone who has experienced this manner of collision, when I get the bike back, is there anything I should look for that might indicate looming problems?
Oh man, glad you are ok. I worry about that exact scenario constantly. I've added additional rear (and front) lighting which I think/hope helps. The Clearwater Billie brake allows me to squeezed the brake and flash riders as they are coming up on me. Only works if they are paying attention, I guess.

Registered
2018 BMW R1200RT
So, I bought my first BMW on June 15th. A 2022 R1250RT. On June 17th (my second ride) I was promptly rear ended by an inattentive driver at a stoplight. I think I had 225 miles on the odometer.

Sigh.

I spoke with the dealer yesterday and they're estimating $8000+ of bodywork replacement. I expected this. I also asked about internal damage and they said that they could not detect any after a couple test rides.

The collision was low speed; he hit me while accelerating one way and looking another and the damage was spread evenly across the saddlebags and rear tire. The bike was ridable after the accident; I rode it about a mile to an appointment and then called for a tow.

My question is, for anyone who has experienced this manner of collision, when I get the bike back, is there anything I should look for that might indicate looming problems?
I鈥檓 so sorry for your accident. While I don鈥檛 have any experience about problem after a returned vehicle that鈥檚 been damaged, What I WOULD do is get an LED taillight setup that goes BRIGHT when the brakes are applied. My wife and I both have 2018 RTs and I put them on BOTH. My wife has said that when the brakes are applied, IT IS OBVIOUS. Can鈥檛 say it wouldn鈥檛 have helped you in this instance but any enhancement that improves safety is worth the cost when you鈥檙e on a motorcycle. People are texting, talking on their phones and putting us riders in DANGER. I wish you good health.

Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses; so much good info.

Good news on the bike front... The insurance company has the estimate and is sending me a check the cover the initial repairs. The check should arrive next Tuesday, but we will be on a family vacation until the following week. I talked with the dealer, and they agreed to order the parts BEFORE I pay for the repairs. Still looking at 2-3 weeks before I can pick her up. Bad news is that one of the panels that was scratched is not available from BMW yet. I can live with a dinged panel for a while.

There is a private BMW mechanic nearby that I think I will visit for a second opinion on the frame/drivetrain damage. Insurance said that I would have to pay for the initial diagnostic but, if anything is found, they will reimburse.

Probably looking at MRIs on my knee and shoulder. Nothing debilitating but still some pain after almost two weeks of Tylenol and ice and reduced activity.

I agree with the flashing brake lights. Conspicuity is key! I had Hyperlights on my last sport-tourer and intend to get something of the sort for this one. Once I'm sure that everything is fixed to my satisfaction, I might also get the surface-to-surface missiles or some sort of Phalanx system to protect my rear.

Registered

Sigh.

"they could not detect any after a couple test rides. "

That isn't good enough, IMHO. You might discover weird tire wear or strange noises/vibrations later on. It isn't a car! There are a lot of motorcycle lawyers out there. They may be ambulance chasers, but it's worth a phone call.

Good luck man and glad there was no apparent physical damage to you! Scott9999 has the best advise.

Registered
2022 R1250 RT
I would not cash that insurance check until you are 100% sure you have no medical issues and that you have successfully resolved all the damage on your motorcycle.

I assume the insurance company that is providing you a check is the driver's insurance company that re-ended you?

Registered
2021 719 Mineral White 1250RT
I had a similar incident with my 2004RT at a stop light but I didn't go down. I had my feet on the ground and landed straight. The rear tire took all the impact and damages were just cosmetic on the rear. My bags were ok. For that reason I have P-3 extra rear lights along with Billy Junior from Clearwater. Plus all reflective stickers everywhere. Stay safe!

Registered
Your question about how to avoid being rear ended. There are some steps you can take to place you and your bike in a position to minimize or avoid a collision. Checking your mirrors to see if you need to make this aversive move as you approach the stop. Then always leave enough room between you and the stopped car ahead so you will not be trapped. Make sure you have an escape path either to the left or right of you, so you can get out of the car approaching you from the rear.

Hope this helps in the future.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So far, dealing with the insurance has been great. They've been super-responsive and agree that the bike needs to be put back into new condition. Same with the injuries. Even the local agent has called me to see if there is anything they can assist with. Still reading the fine print though. How fun that is.

I already ordered some Hyperlites for the rear of the bike. May follow that up with some reflective sheeting on the bags.

Registered
2tired, the best way to make your decision on everything is to ask the repairing dealer what they will give you on trade once they have made their repairs. Lock them in on a number and you will have a fair market value on your bike's loss in value from the accident.

Reactions: Fast1

Premium Member
ask the repairing dealer what they will give you on trade once they have made their repairs.

I just received a quote from the bike shop on the value of my bike after repairs were made and it very much surprised me.
In the letter from the appraiser he told me to repair it was $9274 and that the bike was $3652 away from being totaled. Now you add those 2 and total is $12,926, so if that number is 70% of the bikes value, bike is worth $16803. Which I find to be some what in the neighborhood of what the bike sells for on Cycle Trader(15-17K depending on mileage).

They say bike's worth $10.2K, as I said only got the quote and haven't been in touch with shop, but gonna ask why the low ball price

Premium Member
Unless you have "replacement value" insurance [which is costly] you'll have a hard time locking a dealer in to a trade-in value. Far too many variables involved and no dealer I have ever dealt with will let you hold their feet to the fire on trade-in value unless you get a written quote for a specific vehicle you're buying.

Registered
Oh man, glad you are ok. I worry about that exact scenario constantly. I've added additional rear (and front) lighting which I think/hope helps.
My practice is to slow and stop well short of where I need to finally stop at an intersection or what have you, observing the vehicle behind me to see if they are slowing. After confirming this I continue to slowly advance to my intended stopping position. I think this helps over blindly assuming the vehicle behind you will indeed stop.

Reactions: gary45

Registered
ask the repairing dealer what they will give you on trade once they have made their repairs.

I just received a quote from the bike shop on the value of my bike after repairs were made and it very much surprised me.
In the letter from the appraiser he told me to repair it was $9274 and that the bike was $3652 away from being totaled. Now you add those 2 and total is $12,926, so if that number is 70% of the bikes value, bike is worth $16803. Which I find to be some what in the neighborhood of what the bike sells for on Cycle Trader(15-17K depending on mileage).

They say bike's worth $10.2K, as I said only got the quote and haven't been in touch with shop, but gonna ask why the low ball price
Remember, the Cycle trader prices are not generally for repaired bikes, but for typically used motorcycles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Quick update...

Dropped a check off at the dealer on Wednesday for $7500. Service guy said that the parts are all available at the warehouse in California. One exception is the right-side panel that got dinged by the side bag. It's currently not in the catalog so may have to wait a bit for that. Should have the bike back within the month fingers crossed and still be able to enjoy some riding this year. Hyperlites have arrived and I just ordered front/rear bars and some reflective sheeting for the rear of the bike.

Premium Member
That's good news 2tired.....

Figured since the front end of the bike is mangled may as well upgrade the head lights...

Delivered headlight to bike shop and inquired about parts on hand...they said a little more than 1/2 way there....it's to the point that I don't expect my bike back till middle to late August

21 - 40 of 52 Posts