BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 300c out for a ride to dinner last night, for a couple miles I had a car with two teenage girls behind me, laughing, dancing, singing, one smoking and the driver looking at her cell phone for a couple miles. At a stoplight, behind three other vehicles (also stopped) and WHAM! I look up into the rear view mirror and see their Scion (the one that looks like a box) with a crunched hood, smoking and hear their engine running at about 8,000rpm.

Got settled, got out of the car, asked her "what happened?" She says "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention, I thought you were moving."

Sore neck and back, waiting on verdict on the car (hers was towed, I could drive mine home), and glad that no one was seriously hurt.

I gave my teenage daughter a lecture about the dangers of distracted driving, suggest you do the same if you've got one.

I was glad I wasn't on the motorcycle yesterday.

Drive safe...and if you see teenage drivers behind you, change lanes!!!

Pete

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Dayum, glad you were in the cage. Teenagers... Nuff said.

·
Registered
860 Posts
At least you are good... sort of... Could have been worse. My Bro in Maryland got rear ended at 3:30am by a SUV doing 55 with the driver asleep. Two weeks in the hospy...

I think the bike has caused me to be even more vigilant in my car by watching that damned rear viewer looking for the idiot eating a salad while driving their half-ton missile.

Just glad you're OK... Stay safe my friend...

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Wow. Sorry that happened but glad to hear you are relatively unscathed.

There oughtta be a law... oh wait - there is! :(

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey Pete, just glad to hear that you are, for the most part, OK. That's the important thing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had the same thing happen this week. Stopped at a light. Rear ended by a teenager distracted by his cell phone. I was in a Ford F350 one ton pickup. Rear bumper needs to be replaced. Small dent in left rear fender. 17 year old was in a Prius. Front end completely crushed, probably totaled.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
UncleMark said:
I think the bike has caused me to be even more vigilant in my car by watching that damned rear viewer looking for the idiot eating a salad while driving their half-ton missile.

Just glad you're OK... Stay safe my friend...
I agree, me too. And when I'm in a 4-wheeler I usually make a comment of some sort about any bike I see to the other occupants, just to cause them to pickup and focus on the bike. I certainly don't know if my training there is doing any good or not, but it makes me feel like I am. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Totally agree.
Motorcycling does make me more aware of situations that carries over to driving a 4 wheel vehicle. I too point out things to my family when in the cage mode. And listen to the feedback usually fruitful. I try to pass on my knowledge and experiences to other riders or soon to be riders.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Scion hatchback, number 5 most ticketed:

Violations: 270%
Average Age: 37
% Male: 40%

The Scion xB is popular with young drivers, who are typically more likely to take risks, drive fast, and get tickets. “Lots of the fanboys who get their thrills with the JDM (Japanese domestic market) look of the first xB are the same guys who tune them up to Fast and Furious levels,” Padgett says.

OK, what's a fanboy? :rotf:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
So along with a ban on texting, Beachwood Ohio is including a ban for using a GPS unless it it uses "voice commands".

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Glad your relatively OK, Pete. That said, I'm confused cause those folks claim they can text and drive safely!!!! Then there's that bridge in New York for sale.

Denny

·
Registered
253 Posts
I believe everyone should ride a motorcycle in some phase of their life. They will realize what safe driving means while they are in the cages.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
LTFan said:
I believe everyone should ride a motorcycle in some phase of their life. They will realize what safe driving means while they are in the cages.
Good thought.
Except if they still want to TEXT I would not want to be on the same roadway with them :mad: Serious stuff like just yesterday I in my cage she in hers with a phone up to her right ear and making a left turn from stop sign infront of me. No peripheral vision.
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts