BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take a ride today out by the Rock River. On WB 90 this morning I stopped at the Belvidere Oasis to fuel up. When I left the station I stopped at the stop sign before proceeding out into the lane that leads to the parking lots and bam! The bike fell to the left and I fell right. Not sure how that happened but it was so fast I couldn't analyze it. I had a sore right knee scrapped up but otherwise fine. The guy that hit me was very apologetic and said he was looking back at a vehicle that was supposed to be following him. It was a large red Mercedes work van. The amazing thing was that it dented the front of the van in several places and even pushed in the hood about a half inch in an area about 12 inches wide by 3 inches high --but, as far as I can tell, only scratched up the trunk on the LT. I am pretty sure it didn't touch the rear wheel or license plate area. After getting the police report I put the mirror back on and rode it around the lot. It all seemed fine so I rode it home on I90 and all seems the same. In the garage I inspected it and can't find any damage other than the scrapped up trunk and the typical tip over damage on the left side.

Any thoughts on possible hidden damage? Below links to the pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110090594430359970252/20120519#

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
795 Posts
Looks like you got away pretty clean, it looks like the fit between cover (1) and the molding (3) in the last pic is not right, you could have a bent safety bar (2) or bracket (4) or both. I would pull off 1 and 3 on both sides, measure from the ground while the bike is on the center stand to see if there is a problem.

Pop out the lining in your top case to make sure that there has been no weakening of the attach points, looks like the top case took the brunt of the impact - also a good opportunity to move the top case to the rearward position for the comfort of your passenger.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would take it to my nearest BMW dealer for an estimate. I expect you will find that you have several thousand dollars in damages. The dealer estimate will show the need to replace the parts that are damaged, even scratched. Since you were rear ended, the other party will surely be at fault and his insurance will be liable to pay for your damages. Whether or not you choose to replace all the damaged parts should be your decision to make. You may be able to pocket some of the settlement check and fix your bike yourself with parts from eBay or other sources.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have had the crash bars and plastic off before so I am sure you are right. I don't want to do anything until I take it to a dealer for an insurance estimate. Hopefully the guy's insurance will be good and pay. Good idea on the trunk & lining, I have not had that apart of off before. Also thanks for the nice pdf of the crash bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tips727 said:
I would take it to my nearest BMW dealer for an estimate. I expect you will find that you have several thousand dollars in damages. The dealer estimate will show the need to replace the parts that are damaged, even scratched. Since you were rear ended, the other party will surely be at fault and his insurance will be liable to pay for your damages. Whether or not you choose to replace all the damaged parts should be your decision to make. You may be able to pocket some of the settlement check and fix your bike yourself with parts from eBay or other sources.
Thanks I plan to do that. I am trying to decide which dealer to use. They both said I have to leave the bike because the insurance company will want to come in and look at it. There are two BMW dealers local and one independent shop that does insurance work.

·
Registered
498 Posts
tips727 said:
+1

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Glad you are ok.

I expect that you may be sore tomorrow, and possibly even more so on Tuesday. Based on my own experience, I offer the suggestion that you consider going to a doctor for a good checkup to be sure all is ok, just like you are taking your bike to the dealer for a thorough check-over to be sure it is ok and suffers no hidden damage. You are more important than the bike, and deserve at least as good care as it does. Besides, you are likely to have that body much longer than you will that LT.

Your profile does not indicate where you are located, but we are all neighbors just the same. I am sure if you need an assist, someone will be close by enough to provide one. IT's what we do around here.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Be especially aware that your LT doesn't now pull to one side or the other. That would mean the frame has been bent & that the axis of the trailing arm & the steering head are not perpendicular.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
deputy5211 said:
Glad you are ok.

I expect that you may be sore tomorrow, and possibly even more so on Tuesday. Based on my own experience, I offer the suggestion that you consider going to a doctor for a good checkup to be sure all is ok, just like you are taking your bike to the dealer for a thorough check-over to be sure it is ok and suffers no hidden damage. You are more important than the bike, and deserve at least as good care as it does. Besides, you are likely to have that body much longer than you will that LT.

Your profile does not indicate where you are located, but we are all neighbors just the same. I am sure if you need an assist, someone will be close by enough to provide one. IT's what we do around here.
Thanks very much. A couple people have recommended seeing a doctor and the knee is a little sore today. I do hope to be around after I get tired of pushing the 840 pound motorcycle around in the garage :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was rear ended several years ago and the bike was totaled just due to the subframe being bent. I did not go down but that was merely luck as I was doing 70 mph on a Sunday afternoon when hit by a .23 drunk driver. The backrest probably saved my life as my hands did not come off the handlebars. In any case make sure the bike gets a complete inspection by a dealer trained repair expert. My bike didn't look that bad but it was toast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
niel_petersen said:
Be especially aware that your LT doesn't now pull to one side or the other. That would mean the frame has been bent & that the axis of the trailing arm & the steering head are not perpendicular.
Going home, on the few stretches of pavement that were nice, I was able to ride straight with the cruise control engaged and no hands on the bars. Based on that I think it is OK but I'll ask the shop what they think too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
In the one picture it almost looks like the left peg mount is cracked. Maybe it is just an illusion.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Glad you're ok. and a big +1 on what several others have said, go get it inspected at your nearest Dealer to be sure it's OK and get a repair estimate.

·
Registered
989 Posts
tips727 said:
I would take it to my nearest BMW dealer for an estimate. I expect you will find that you have several thousand dollars in damages. ... .
Very true.

Many years ago, I collided with a pickup truck on my previous LT. Aside of some scratches, no damage from collision. However, the bike tipped over in the aftermath and got scratches and bent shifter on the opposite side.
The repair bill was almost $4k, mostly due to replacement/repainting of scratched body panels.

LT is not cheap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts