BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any sugestions on the amount of miles between rear end fluid changes?
I use BMS Super Synthetic (the red stuff)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I change mine at the same time as the oil as well. Cheap insurance to examine if anything out of the ordinary is going on in the rear end. I don't think any bearings have failed due to having fresh lubricant too often!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Bearing

Every 6K, same as engine oil interval. If it is rally dark with suspended particles or you see silver specs in the drained fluid, it is time to take it in and have it checked by the mechanics! I had my bearing replaced at 22K miles. The fluid was always cloudy, and would clear leaving a layer of dark material on the bottom of the collection vessel. I also noticed small silver flecks in mine right before I had it replaced. I have 50K on the replacement bearing and the fluid I drain is clear, as it should be.

·
Registered
284 Posts
every 6000 for me

same as the others
change it just to make sure everything is copasetic
ALTHO
when my rear drive went out i had just changed it and checked stuff not long before....

so.....its not like a guarantee or anything ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
messenger13 said:
I don't change fluids anymore...I just buy new bikes! :D
"I pull it in the garage and change the oil at 50 miles. Too soon? I don't think so. BTW...changing the oil on the new GT is a new adventure. More on that later."

Hmmmm. I'm having trouble recounciling these two statements.

·
Registered
440 Posts
messenger13 said:
It's called "HUMOR"! :D

You'll need some when your backrest finally shows up in a month or two or... :D

Dang I thought my post was Humor. Oh well, missed it again. A month or two? That's sooner than I expected. Thank you, thank you. Now Joe, this is another attempt at humor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts