BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake rotor is about 2mm (!) out of round. (rough measurement) It happened over a short period in spite of some here saying this never happens. Anyway...

A new OEM rotor is about $350.00 and an EBC rotor is about $140. I come up with EBC# MD615. I also read some mixed reviews about one member having a new EBC rotor that was way out of round but other having no problems at all.

I like to hear first hand if this is the right part number, what's a good place to buy, and are you satisfied?

While I am at it:
I am now using EBC pads, and finally for the first time have NO squeak. I used MOC QUIET BRAKES Part #0140 www.mocproducts.com on the pad surface and a Mercedes Benz anti-seize product that MB recommends for the back side of the pads. The combination works for my Tech's on Mercedes cars and it works on my bike for about 2500 miles sofar.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
I been running one a couple of thousand now and no issues.

I have also read others having problems, not sure what the issue is but I am cool with it and their pads.

No more embarrassing squeal. What a hoot to ride your new bike and go to stop and have that noise. Until I got it and the pads off, I just looked around like "who the hell is that" :)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I ordered mine from cycle brakes, have put several thousand miles on mine and no problems! NO MORE COWBELL!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 05 Lt with 36,000 mile on it. The rear disc really clangs over bumps. Anyone have any sugestions on how to fix it. The brakes work good, it's kind of embarassing riding with my friends when I'm clanging all the time. The roads up here in Mi. are pretty bumpy.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
get an ebc rotor........ no more cowbell..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Put one on last fall , had to add one more wheel mount shim because the new hub that came on the EBC rubbed 5 little spots of paint from the wheel spokes .
Really not a big problem just could could tell something was off when lugnuts were tightened I it took more turns to pull down and tighten .
Had to split old disc aluminum hub from inside with hack saw to remove antilock speed encoder . I also got mine from Cycle Brakes . Am using a set of new old stock BMW pads ,no noise problems .

Bob G

99LT

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I have had an EBC rear rotor a couple of seasons now. I also read quite a few bad experiences after I bought mine but mine has been flawless..

If I had to buy another I would do it without hesitation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried the ebc rotor and after some other members mentioned the rotor not fitting correctly and making contact with the rear wheel spokes.so I removed mine to check and mine was hitting the spokes so went back to the oem rotor. you may not know this unless remove the rotor and lay the wheel on the floor and set the rotor on the wheel and you may see that the rotor hits the spokes before the rotor is flush with the center of the wheel to the rotor

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would have to say that I am probably one of the most experienced in the rear rotor not fitting correctly. 2 of the 3 I attempted last fall were machined incorrectly, disc thickness was different around the disc, creating a severe pulse in the brake pedal and causing the ABS system all kinds of fun. EBC acknowledged the poor quality and apologized every time and the third hit the rim, by that time the season was basically over and I gave up on them. There have been some that say to avoid the rotor from hitting the rim just add another shim between the rotor and the rim. I bought one but have not attempted it yet. Anyway goodluck with your EBC experience. I have just learned to live the cowbell way.

·
Registered
375 Posts
EBC SUCKS! I will never use their POS disc or pads.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ez_rdr55 said:
EBC SUCKS! I will never use their POS disc or pads.
Wow...I looked at some of your old posts regarding EBC and a few other topics. Either you had a lot of bad luck, or some anger management sessions are in order :rotf: just kidding...

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Cowbell is bad! It basically means the rivets that hold the outer brake disk to the inner carrier have worn such that there is noticeable play. Eventually, the disc will move enough to start wearing a groove in the swingarm.

I put on an EBC pad and rotor set and was very pleased. No more cowbell, no more brake squealing, and improved braking response on the rear. I'd do it again if I was still riding an LT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does EBC rear rotor come with the ABS gear with it. If not, what is the procedure to get my EBC rear rotor with the ABS gear?

·
Registered
372 Posts
A.
I have an 03 LT. The rear rotor was replaced once under warranty and continued to rattle.

B. In July '08, I removed the rotor and actually inspected it. Crappy design. Designed to fail (rattle).

My attempt at a solution: Once off, I cleaned it as good as I could then packed all the spaces around the contact points (10 of them) with RTV silicone (the red stuff). Once completed, I re-installed the rotor, placed the bike on the center stand and every couple of hours, rotated and allpied the brakes.

The brake apply was to center to rotor between the pads under a load.

The rotation was to try to center the rotor around the centerline of rotation.

I posted my atempt and received a response suggesting "Shoe Goo" instead.
the reason was that RTV would remain too soft after cure and thus eventually work itself out of the joints and that the ingredients of "Shoe Goo" were more durable and would keep the rotor quiet longer.

After all, quiet is what we are seeking.

Another individual replied to the "Shoe Goo" recomendation and said that his rotor has been quiet for 40K miles.

If I do this again, I will do the Shoe Goo thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
davek1 said:
A.
I have an 03 LT. The rear rotor was replaced once under warranty and continued to rattle.

B. In July '08, I removed the rotor and actually inspected it. Crappy design. Designed to fail (rattle).

My attempt at a solution: Once off, I cleaned it as good as I could then packed all the spaces around the contact points (10 of them) with RTV silicone (the red stuff). Once completed, I re-installed the rotor, placed the bike on the center stand and every couple of hours, rotated and allpied the brakes.

The brake apply was to center to rotor between the pads under a load.

The rotation was to try to center the rotor around the centerline of rotation.

I posted my atempt and received a response suggesting "Shoe Goo" instead.
the reason was that RTV would remain too soft after cure and thus eventually work itself out of the joints and that the ingredients of "Shoe Goo" were more durable and would keep the rotor quiet longer.

After all, quiet is what we are seeking.

Another individual replied to the "Shoe Goo" recomendation and said that his rotor has been quiet for 40K miles.

If I do this again, I will do the Shoe Goo thing.
I agree, I used the the red RTV and it lasted maybe 500 miles. I was very disappointed. But I'll try the shoe goo....

·
Registered
192 Posts
I put the EBC rotor and pads on the rear of my 2000 last summer. After about 6000 miles everything is quiet and braking power is good.

So far I'm happy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
just another data point -

i just roached a set of rear pads on my 99.

i had been seeing some of the indications that i'd had some metal transfer to the rotor at one spot in the rotation -- i.e. when i'd spin the rear wheel to inspect it it would drag more at one point.

because i'd had such good luck with the SBS ceramics on the front brakes of my bike -- thank you BMW of Grand Rapids! -- i got a set of SBS ceramics for the rear, as well.

after about 250 miles of run in, the pads are fully bedded in and offer great feel and modulation.

better still, whatever contamination that seemed to be causing the uneven application has apparently been removed by the ceramic pads -- i.e. when i turn the wheel by hand now, the unevenness is gone.

!

i'm a happy SBS customer. as always, YMMV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts