BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started out so well. 60 degrees, clear skies, good to be out riding yesterday morning. Heading west on I-10 with Big Bend as the day's destination, things couldn't be better. Man is this bike smoooooottthhhh!! About 10 miles from Junction, TX at about 80 mph (speed limit west of Kerrville is 80) I think I feel something unusual through the handlebars, but hey, it's probably the road surface. At the exit ramp to US 83 in Junction, we start to get off for some gas and a coffee. As the speed decreases I start to hear a growling whine that again sounds like a rough section of road on my ME 880s. As the speed decreases further, so does the noise, so I'm thinking it's the road surface - gotta be.

Get the coffee, fill em up and off to Big Bend. Up to speed again, and something just doesn't feel right. And I'm starting to hear that groaning noise again. About 20 miles west of Junction, I radio my riding buddy that we need to pull over and check the bike. Visual inspection revealed nothing unusual, turning the rear wheel by hand didn't produce any unusual noise, a check for rear wheel play seemed perfectly normal, and a ride by at slow speed didn't sound unusual to my riding partner. Feeling better about the bike, we head west again. About 3 miles later, something's definitely wrong. We decide that it's much better to be stuck near Junction than somewhere out in West Texas, so we cross the interstate, and head slowly back to Junction. I ride the last 15 miles back to civilization alone as my friend breaks off and heads back to Universal City for his trailer. When I get back to Junction, I check the bike over again. Can't see or hear any thing unusual. Later in the afternoon we load her up on a trailer and get her back home. A visual inspection at that time showed gear oil all over the rear end of the bike and the trailer.

55,170 miles and the rear end is done. I've tried to find the part numbers for the 17 ball bearing assembly on the board, with no luck. Is there any definitive evidence that the 17 is the better than the 19? Is the 17 still available, or is it a crapshoot as to which one you get, like others have said?

I thought I was gonna be one of the lucky ones. But, hey, maybe I saved someone who attended CCR some agony!

Bill Edwards
U.C., TX

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Bill, Sorry to hear about your failure. It has been reported here that there is no 17 ball bearing anymore. It is a 19 ball bearing but from another manufacturer.
Good luck.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Bill, I recently purchased a spare 19-ball with seals. Requested the 17 ball and told by two different dealers that the 17 ball no longer existed and has been replaced by a 19 ball. If you run into trouble from your local dealers on getting the part let me know and I'll work on getting mine to you.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Dare I ax --- how's the patient?? :cool:

1jusbill1 said:
It started out so well. 60 degrees, clear skies, good to be out riding yesterday morning. Heading west on I-10 with Big Bend as the day's destination, things couldn't be better. Man is this bike smoooooottthhhh!! About 10 miles from Junction, TX at about 80 mph (speed limit west of Kerrville is 80) I think I feel something unusual through the handlebars, but hey, it's probably the road surface. At the exit ramp to US 83 in Junction, we start to get off for some gas and a coffee. As the speed decreases I start to hear a growling whine that again sounds like a rough section of road on my ME 880s. As the speed decreases further, so does the noise, so I'm thinking it's the road surface - gotta be.

Get the coffee, fill em up and off to Big Bend. Up to speed again, and something just doesn't feel right. And I'm starting to hear that groaning noise again. About 20 miles west of Junction, I radio my riding buddy that we need to pull over and check the bike. Visual inspection revealed nothing unusual, turning the rear wheel by hand didn't produce any unusual noise, a check for rear wheel play seemed perfectly normal, and a ride by at slow speed didn't sound unusual to my riding partner. Feeling better about the bike, we head west again. About 3 miles later, something's definitely wrong. We decide that it's much better to be stuck near Junction than somewhere out in West Texas, so we cross the interstate, and head slowly back to Junction. I ride the last 15 miles back to civilization alone as my friend breaks off and heads back to Universal City for his trailer. When I get back to Junction, I check the bike over again. Can't see or hear any thing unusual. Later in the afternoon we load her up on a trailer and get her back home. A visual inspection at that time showed gear oil all over the rear end of the bike and the trailer.

55,170 miles and the rear end is done. I've tried to find the part numbers for the 17 ball bearing assembly on the board, with no luck. Is there any definitive evidence that the 17 is the better than the 19? Is the 17 still available, or is it a crapshoot as to which one you get, like others have said?

I thought I was gonna be one of the lucky ones. But, hey, maybe I saved someone who attended CCR some agony!

Bill Edwards
U.C., TX

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just wondering, what year is your bike. And are we still filling out the data sheet on rear drive failures?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bill - I feel your pain. Mine just did the same thing. I'm in the process of rebuilding the final drive right now and in fact just picked up all the parts. They (Bob's BMW in MD) told me that BMW has gone back to the 19 ball and the 17 is not available. I took the drive in for them to fix, but after talking to the head mechanic, he convinced me that I really could do it myself. So I'm going to give it a shot. You have to buy a lot more than just the main bearing... I'm taking bunches of pictures and plan to publish a how-to.

Cheers - Jack
2000 K1200LT

·
Registered
579 Posts
Retainer design of the new 19 ball bearing?

acs5166 said:
Bill - I feel your pain. Mine just did the same thing. I'm in the process of rebuilding the final drive right now and in fact just picked up all the parts. They (Bob's BMW in MD) told me that BMW has gone back to the 19 ball and the 17 is not available. I took the drive in for them to fix, but after talking to the head mechanic, he convinced me that I really could do it myself. So I'm going to give it a shot. You have to buy a lot more than just the main bearing... I'm taking bunches of pictures and plan to publish a how-to.

Cheers - Jack
2000 K1200LT
Jack, I've attached a close up photo of my Fag 19 ball beside my SKF 17 ball.
I obtained the SKF 17 in Dec 05. How does the design of the new vendor 19 ball compare. The SKF 17 has a wider ribbon and smaller diameter rivets as compared to the original Fag 19. Thanks, Barnett

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
wilbar00c said:
Jack, I've attached a close up photo of my Fag 19 ball beside my SKF 17 ball.
I obtained the SKF 17 in Dec 05. How does the design of the new vendor 19 ball compare. The SKF 17 has a wider ribbon and smaller diameter rivets as compared to the original Fag 19. Thanks, Barnett
Barnett - I am attaching a photo (not as clear as yours) but it sure looks like my new 19 is close to your old 19. Notice the outside ring which looks thinner than that on the 17. I can probably get some better pictures tomorrow, but frankly I'm late for bed as it is. I have no idea if I am attaching this picture properly, so let's hope...

Hmmmmm.... It looks like I need to read the manual on attachments.

Cheers - Jack

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dick said:
Dare I ax --- how's the patient?? :cool:
Dick,

I am happy to say that the patient is fine. Picked her up Thursday last, but then had to go to LA. I've put 900 miles on the new bearing this week and all seems well. As a matter of fact I went looking for you and the kaffee gang this morning but got caught up in a couple of traffic problems on 1604 on the way, and either missed you or went to the wrong one. Where's the **$$ in Boerne again?

Bill

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
1jusbill1 said:
Dick,

I am happy to say that the patient is fine. Picked her up Thursday last, but then had to go to LA. I've put 900 miles on the new bearing this week and all seems well. As a matter of fact I went looking for you and the kaffee gang this morning but got caught up in a couple of traffic problems on 1604 on the way, and either missed you or went to the wrong one. Where's the **$$ in Boerne again?

Bill
Ah hah - good newz on the patient! All's well. Glad they did the good job. You find out whether they used the 17-ball unit or the 19? You get a chance to see your failed one? And with your mileage, did Alamo try for any good-will help from NA?

Sorry we missed ya this morning. Did the Leon Springs *$$. Prolly stay with that one, rather than the pre-dominately drive-up one in Boerne. Boerne *$$ is just down the access road from Chili's, at I-10/46. Not as comfortable inside or out, as L.S. Anytime we opt for Boerne, I'll ping you and Tom the evening before, butt if you don't hear from me, we'll be enjoying all the attributes of *$$ at the Springs!! ;)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
grifscoots said:
And prolly not as much eye candy. You boys aren't fooling me none!
Bingo!!! Say the secret woid and choke a duck!! :cool: Axshoely, it's just too easy to hide good eye-candy in a cage! I mean, I'm sure drive-up is convenient for 'em, butt c'mon - sacrifice a leetle. We didn't get up 'before' the crack of dawn just to see who drives the best lookin' cage!!! :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
SKF and FAG outer race identification

jndunne said:
Do you have either FAG or SKF actual bearing nos?

John
Factory installed new, FAG Germany, R-B, 61917.C3 (19 balls)

Replaced with; SKF, France, 00 184A, 61917/C3 (17 balls)

If you want a catalog P/N, I don't know what they are. I don't have the BMW #'s handy, but they have been listed many times on this site.

Barnett

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
wilbar00c said:
Factory installed new, FAG Germany, R-B, 61917.C3 (19 balls)

Replaced with; SKF, France, 00 184A, 61917/C3 (17 balls)

If you want a catalog P/N, I don't know what they are. I don't have the BMW #'s handy, but they have been listed many times on this site.

Barnett
IIRC, someone posted sometime back that BMW reverted back to the 19 ball bearing but that it was now made by SKF and not FAG. I don't know if the manufacturer was the issue or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts