BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear Drive & Transmission Gear Lube Question

Don't mean to start another oil thread but I do have a question. I've been using ****** gear lube in all my bikes since back in 1999. I've recently moved to a new area and cannot find a convenient retail source for those products and I'm due for a major service on the LT. Yea, I know I can become a "dealer" but don't want to spend the $30 or so to do that. My usage is not sufficient to justify that.

Anyway, my question is; What are ya'll using for gear lube? I'm looking for something that's readily available in the retail market place and that is hi quality and compatible with the ****** that I've been using. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I give up. sorry about posting this twice. Can't seem to figure out how to delete it. also the software doesn't seem to like it when I type ******! that is A M S O I L

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm not a tribologist but as I understand it, part of meeting the API and manufacturer specification for a lubricant is being compatible with all oils meeting the same specification. Even synthetic and mineral base are fully compatible so long as they meet the same specs.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I used to use Mobil 1...Now I use Bel-Ray Gear Saver.. It has greatly improved the shifting of the RT...

John

John

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
When I went on the Wally's World 12 step program I switched from Mobil 1 to the NAPA brand, about 50k ago. Can't tell any difference. Sure don't miss Wally's World :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
OK, I give up. sorry about posting this twice. Can't seem to figure out how to delete it. also the software doesn't seem to like it when I type ******! that is A M S O I L
You can order direct if you have the retailer's Distributor number. PM me if you would like some help.
:)

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
Re: Rear Drive & Transmission Gear Lube Question

Lynn_Keen said:
Don't mean to start another oil thread but I do have a question. I've been using ****** gear lube in all my bikes since back in 1999. I've recently moved to a new area and cannot find a convenient retail source for those products and I'm due for a major service on the LT. Yea, I know I can become a "dealer" but don't want to spend the $30 or so to do that. My usage is not sufficient to justify that.

Anyway, my question is; What are ya'll using for gear lube? I'm looking for something that's readily available in the retail market place and that is hi quality and compatible with the ****** that I've been using. Suggestions?
Tom Cutter of Rubber Chicken Racing Garage fame says he has seen very good results with plain old Castrol Hypoy C. Unfortunately, I can't find that in my area so I will likely use either Mobil 1 synthetic or order the Castrol online or maybe buy the "A" brand that you are using now. If you are a BMWMOA member, I beleive they run ads in each issue about a way to order it online using a BMWMOA code.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about Mobile 1 but will also check out the MOA for the advertisement.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Depending how much oil you would use in a year, the $30 may still be worth it. I did that last year and bought a case, and even with that, delivery and taxes, it was still a lot cheaper than any of the local retailers, plus it arrived at my door two days after I ordered it. I have a bit of a collection, so end up using more than a case every year.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I use Royal Purple. Readily available, meets the specs and matches the color of the bike. It's a 3fer. What could be better?

Loren

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Redline heavy duty shockproof............................

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I use Royal Purple. Readily available, meets the specs and matches the color of the bike. It's a 3fer. What could be better?

Loren
It doesn't match my gray LT. :)

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Just a reminder, remember the thousand or so oil threads, It finally came down to BMW saying to use a lower-narow viscosity rear diff oil, the thicker oil up to 140viscosity was not coating the bearing is what i remember,,,im running royal purple 85-95,and have used ****** in the same viscocity...matthew

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
roadcrave said:
Just a reminder, remember the thousand or so oil threads, It finally came down to BMW saying to use a lower-narow viscosity rear diff oil, the thicker oil up to 140viscosity was not coating the bearing is what i remember,,,im running royal purple 85-95,and have used ****** in the same viscocity...matthew
That may be true, but I am skeptical. I am pretty convinced from all of the work that Charlie, John and others have done, that the issue has nothing to do with oil and everything to do with proper preload. I really believe that a properly preloaded bearing is going to live long and prosper with almost any quality gear oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts