BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: With the bike in 1st gear and on the center stand, how much (how many inches) of rotation free play should there be?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Uh, however much is needed to take up the driveline slack.

Unless you've got some other symptoms, that's not a problem area I've heard much talk on.

Now, side to side play - that's a whole 'nuther story.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing 'side to side'. Just curious about how much rotaton 'slop' there should be.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dave,

I saw another post regarding this a month or so ago. I used a square and marked the ends of the play on the sidewall. There's just at two inches on mine and I think the other poster said about 2.25 inches on their wheel.

HTH.

rickbnsa

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't know if there are additional reasons for the play, but three that come to mind are:

1) Metal expands as it is heated. You don't want metal-to-metal contact, which would just grind down the gear teeth, so the tolerances for gear play have to be big enough to take the thermal expansion into account.
2) There needs to be room for lubrication between gear teeth.
3) Helical cut gears in the final drive, which change the rotational axis 90 degrees, have more play in them than straight cut gears.

Once the gear train is under load almost all of the play is "taken up" and does not present any issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts