BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

I put the bike on the lift to start the 24K service process. Thought I ask opinions if any of you thought this type of oil/film covering the rear drive area is normal or unusual?

Please see the attached pic. Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Tom, That looks like the normal road splatter that I get on my FD. It it were a FD leak, you'd see it out on the wheel. Having gone through two failures, what you're displaying I've never seen other than normal riding. JM2CW

·
Registered
444 Posts
Loosen up that clamp and pull back the rubber boot. If any fluid comes out, it will either be the final drive seal or the tranny output shaft seal that is leaking.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
ttalleur said:
All:

I put the bike on the lift to start the 24K service process. Thought I ask opinions if any of you thought this type of oil/film covering the rear drive area is normal or unusual?

The pic you show is in front of the FD so it wouldn't be coming from there. I think you might have a leak further forward. IE. my hose drains are just ahead of that area. Overflows for the brake fluid, fuel tank etc. Also could be a seal leaking somewhere. I'd do more inspecting ahead of the area you show in the pic. The boot in the pic is at the rear of the drive shaft but I wouldn't think that is where the film is coming from. I don't think what you are showing is something normal.

I'm assuming you ride on clean roads.

Keep looking!

Just my .02 cents worth. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Tom,
I'd give her a good wash. I use a auto wash detergent (i.e. Turtle Wax auto wash) that won't remove any of the protective waxes that I use on the tupperware. . Your going to change to FD gear oil anyway as part of your maintenance drill and you can check for anything unusual on the magnetic plug.

If it continues to leak (if it does leak) you should see fresh stuff. Being in the south I'm sure you have lots of riding days ahead. :bike:

·
Registered
280 Posts
ttalleur said:
All:

Ever wash that thing?

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
This is what it looks like after riding down the highway without a fill plug on the final drive. Gear oil was slung everywhere.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
ttalleur said:
All:

If you haven't washed the bike in the 24K miles, I'd say this is normal road grit. If you washed the bike last week and it now looks like this, I'd say you have a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
It could be anything.

Wash it well and keep an eye on it.

Also pull the FD boot as said. If no oil there and the front boot is on at the transmission, it is road grime, probably.

Not sure if the infamous breather hose that sits dead top of the motor could sling it that far and heavy, but maybe.

Wash it well and watch it well.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
hschisler said:
This is what it looks like after riding down the highway without a fill plug on the final drive. Gear oil was slung everywhere.
Howard, was this some kind of experiment? :D

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Razmataz said:
Howard, was this some kind of experiment? :D
Only in some sick, unexplainable way!

That is what happened after my first dealer service. When servicing the final drive, the tech either left the fill plug off, or didn't tighten it down. I got 3 hours down the road and discovered the rear wheel was locked. They replaced the final drive, at no cost to me! (duh)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts