BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Oct. 5th I internet ordered the famous 17 ball bearing and the associated seals from Chicago BMW. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
UPS delivered them yesterday, Oct. 31. I sure am glad that I wasn't stranded on a trip somewhere. I called Chicago BMW 3 times during the wait. Each time they said that because of the great demand, the bearing was on back order from BMW. I'm glad that I didn't wait until it broke to get the parts. I'm planning to go to a friends motorcycle shop and change it as soon as possible. BTW the reason I decided for a preemtive replacement is because I've personally met about 12 fellow LT riders, of those 12 LT owners 5 have had rear end failures. That's almost half and I'm not sure how many of those 12 LT's were 2003 or newer. I know that something like 4% is the claimed failure rate, but I don't believe it. I was one of the people who moved the Info from the old rear end failure survey forum to the new. Of the 5 people I've met that have had the failures, only 1 was included in the survey. I think that this problem is grossly under reported. I'm convinced that BMW will never divulge the real figures.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I can Relate...

I can relate to your wait for the part from Chicago BMW. In your case it might have been a supply issue. However, twice I've ordered regular ol wearable parts and have waited it seems forever.

My first wait was 33 days for some hoses and clamps.
My current wait is 20 days for throttle cables and fork seals.

Those items should be on the shelf...and then out the door in a matter of days...not weeks. I posted to the dealer experience forum about it last night but it has yet to be approved. Not really negative...just something to consider if you are OTS and need parts ASAP...don't try to get them from Chicago. I've also had to make multiple calls to check on the status. Both orders they, after numerous calls, have told me..."all your parts are here now, we'll get them out in a few days". WHAT the Heck!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Let us know...

mkiesel said:
I'm planning to go to a friends motorcycle shop and change it as soon as possible. BTW the reason I decided for a preemtive replacement is because I've personally met about 12 fellow LT riders, of those 12 LT owners 5 have had rear end failures.
Hi Mike,

Let us know how the old bearing and the seal look once you get them out. :eek: And, how many miles are on your scoot too!

A 17 ball unit was installed in my FD last October... so far, so good.

Good luck with your new one! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I ordered a few parts once from Bob's BMW.

Arrived at the bottom of Africa 9 working days later.
Very impressed - will use them again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts