BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the rear drive oil analyzed by Wear Check at the 1000Km (600M) first change. The oil was stated to be "no longer serviceable as a result of abnormal and/or severe wear." The iron level was 291 ppm vs a maximum allowable of 150 and there was "a light concentration of visible metal present." In addition "There is a light amount of silt(particulates 5 to 15 microns in size) present in the oil."

All other results were acceptable.

I'm going to change the oil again in a few Km to see if the initial contamination has been removed since I sure dont want all those particles in the ball bearings. Bearings only like nice clean oil!!!
I suspect that some (most?) of the contamination was due to initial wear-in of the rear gears.
Is this dirty oil one of the factors causing failures of the rear drive bearing????

If anyone is interested in the complete analysis of the initial factory fill oil, I can post the whole list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
I guess that's what one would expect at 600km.... would be interesting to see it done at 600km intervals for the next - oh - 60,000km!

We'll be expecting the results. ;)

...but what I really want to know: Is the Superbird for sale? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Superbird

RonKMiller said:
...but what I really want to know: Is the Superbird for sale? :D
My son say's it is not for sale!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
What about the 'cuda then? :)

Don't put stuff like that in your sig line without pictures man - you're killing me!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cuda

gulfxray said:
What about the 'cuda then? :)

Don't put stuff like that in your sig line without pictures man - you're killing me!!
Ok Ok Ok!!!

Here is a pic of the Cuda. I used to have 2 of them but sold the green one.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Superbird pics

gulfxray said:
What about the 'cuda then? :)

Don't put stuff like that in your sig line without pictures man - you're killing me!!
The Superbird is currently being totally restored, so I dont have a finished photo. I found a photo of it when it was a pace car at a local racetrack back in 1970/1971.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
It's nice see someone doing oil analysis, but I think its a bit premature to do it at such an early stage. You'll pick up all sorts of things the first 6000 miles.
I'll be doing my oil analysis at 12000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nplenzick said:
It's nice see someone doing oil analysis, but I think its a bit premature to do it at such an early stage. You'll pick up all sorts of things the first 6000 miles.
I'll be doing my oil analysis at 12000 miles.
I decided to oil analysis at all change intervals to watch for trends - starting from the first change. I also analyzed the oil from the engine and tranny. They were all OK. ( I didnt have to do the tranny at 600 miles - but wanted to get synthetic in it.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
There's certainly no harm to doing it if you can afford it, so keep us informed. At least we'll get some factual data instead of someones opinion.
By the way what brand oil did you do your changes with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wrong oil rating

nplenzick said:
By the way what brand oil did you do your changes with?
I used Spectro 20W50 in the engine, Amsoil 75W90 Long Life Synthetic (Amsoil p/n FGR-QTC) in the tranny and Spectro 80W90 GL5 in the rear drive - all as supplied by the dealer.

However- when I was pouring the oil into the engine, I noticed that the Spectro engine oil was rated at API SL (newest oil rating) instead of the required SG rated oil.

I went back to the dealer and now have the correct SG rated oil (Bel Ray EXL 20W50 ) I wasn't very happy in having been given a non-SG rated oil.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
588 Posts
Good to see an oil analysis. I just changed out the drive fluid at 600 miles and it looked contaminated. I put in AMSOIL 75W90 Gear Lube. I also changed out the engine oil with AMSOIL MCV 20W50 motorcycle oil. Sounds like from your oil analysis there is no need to be concerned if you let that one go longer. That is good news as I was planning not to change motor oil and filter for another 12,000 miles and will do the transmission oil at 12,000 miles.

I'd sure like to see all the complete analyses posted. They should also be kept in the FAQ's or Hall of Wisdom. If anyone else has oil analyses on their K1200LT's, I'm sure most of us would like to see them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
TimVipond said:
I'd sure like to see all the complete analyses posted. They should also be kept in the FAQ's or Hall of Wisdom. If anyone else has oil analyses on their K1200LT's, I'm sure most of us would like to see them.
Here are the rear drive results.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Latest oil analysis results

These are the latest results for analysis on my rear drive oil.There are few miles on this oil (Amsoil 75W140 Synthetic Severe Gear) and I'm just changing as part of the Annual year end maintenance.
The previous oil was Spectro 80W90 mineral based.
The iron levels are still coming down, showing that the gears are not wearing as much.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
As a former Aircraft Technician for the Canadian Armed Forces, I used to conduct oil analysis for aircraft gas turbines and gearboxes. I'm curious how the 150 ppm limit for iron was derived by Wear Check, which in my opinion, is a reputable company.

I also suspect that the initial high iron reading is a result of "Break-in wear" which happens when new components are getting used to working with each other.

You may have them conduct a ferrographic analysis which examines the type of debris in the sample and the shape or morphology of the particles. This will help determine if the wear is normal or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
"Goin' to Montana soon, gonna be a Dental Floss Tycoon" - Frank Zappa

Growin it up...waxin it down...Dynamo hummm...Dynamo hummmm...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DentalFlossTycoon said:
As a former Aircraft Technician for the Canadian Armed Forces, I used to conduct oil analysis for aircraft gas turbines and gearboxes. I'm curious how the 150 ppm limit for iron was derived by Wear Check, which in my opinion, is a reputable company.

I also suspect that the initial high iron reading is a result of "Break-in wear" which happens when new components are getting used to working with each other.

You may have them conduct a ferrographic analysis which examines the type of debris in the sample and the shape or morphology of the particles. This will help determine if the wear is normal or not.
Good questions.

I'm not sure how they derive the limits for analysis. Experience over many years must be a factor?

The high initial iron will definitely be coming from the crown and pinion gear breaking-in. The first oil change had visible iron sludge in the bottom of the sample bottle. This amount of iron is definitely not good for ball bearings as you probably know!!!!
As you can see- I've been changing the oil quite frequently to get these contaminants out asap.
I'm not sure how well BMW laps their crown and pinion gears during manufacturing- but this will be a factor in how much break-in wear there is.
I'm not sure if WearCheck does ferrographic analysis or not. At this point, I'm not worried about any "abnormal" wear, as long as the levels keep dropping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
RealWing said:
Good questions.

I'm not sure how they derive the limits for analysis. Experience over many years must be a factor?

The high initial iron will definitely be coming from the crown and pinion gear breaking-in. The first oil change had visible iron sludge in the bottom of the sample bottle. This amount of iron is definitely not good for ball bearings as you probably know!!!!
As you can see- I've been changing the oil quite frequently to get these contaminants out asap.
I'm not sure how well BMW laps their crown and pinion gears during manufacturing- but this will be a factor in how much break-in wear there is.
I'm not sure if WearCheck does ferrographic analysis or not. At this point, I'm not worried about any "abnormal" wear, as long as the levels keep dropping.
Growin it up...waxin it down...Dynamo hummm...Dynamo hummmm... :rotf:

I'm pretty sure Wear Check does ferrographic analysis, but I don't know the cost. This type of analysis looks at the metal particles through a microscope and depending on the shape of the particle, can determine what is causing the wear. For example, round spherical shaped particles are an indication of bearing wear, while particles that look kind of finger nail clippings are indicative of cutting wear. You should also change the oil on a set frequency in order to determine if the levels are actually dropping or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Is a ppm iron analysis a valid criteria for a sample that has magnetic chunks (or fines) in it? I would think the magnet would have most of the significant metal stuck on it instead of it circulating in the oil sample.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DentalFlossTycoon said:
You should also change the oil on a set frequency in order to determine if the levels are actually dropping or not.
Good point
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
RealWing said:
The iron level was 291 ppm vs a maximum allowable of 150.
I have a department at my work that does oil analysis, they offered to check mine for me after speaking to them about your results.
They asked me "who set the maximum allowable ppm at 150?"
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top