BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of trading out my rear drive out on my 2002 just as a precaution. I'm thinking I would rather change the entire drive with a low milage unit than just replacing just the bearing. Does anyone know if a 2004 or 2005 drive will directly change out with my 2002? I looked at some online microfiche but still am not clear if they would and have no local dealer to call.

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I am 99.999% sure that the '02, '03, and '04 final drives are the same. I'm not sure about the '05s. You would definitely want to check into that. Hopefully, someone 'in-the-know' will chime in here today. I do know that the '99-'01 final drives are different.

Or, you could call an online BMW vendor (A&S Cycles, Bob's BMW, etc...) and ask them if there's a different part number for the '05 final drive . . . compared to your '02 final drive part number.

HTH

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe for the reply. I did figure out, as you state, that the '99 thru '01 have a different rear drive. I believe this to be the case because of a different brake system on those models. I'm hoping to buy a low milage rear drive from a trike conversion if it is compatable.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Replace Rear drive?

slmorley said:
Thinking of trading out my rear drive out on my 2002 just as a precaution. I'm thinking I would rather change the entire drive with a low milage unit than just replacing just the bearing. Does anyone know if a 2004 or 2005 drive will directly change out with my 2002? I looked at some online microfiche but still am not clear if they would and have no local dealer to call.

Thanks for your response.
No need to replace it since it hasn't begun to fail yet. Just replace the bearing, a good BMW mechanic can do it on the bike for about $200-250.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts