BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago as i was planning my now ill fated trip and doing all the cool stuff you do during those planning times i decided to try and fix the rear brake rattlin disc from rattlin...while i had the wheel off i rotated the disc and saw that the gap was only about a 16th or so. I decided to try some RV high temp silicone. The trick is getting it into the gap(s). I used the sharp end of a 6" ziptie to dab and press the silicone into the crack all the way around the disk from the wheel side. I made sure to keep pressure on it as i turned it. It was slow but when i was done it had a nice very thin bead in the gap with just a bit extra squeezed in at each rivet.....a couple hundred miles later, in high 90's and braking normally (no rain yet), my silicone is still intact and i have not heard a rattle or peep from the disk....time will tell. Even if i had to do this once a year, or during every tire change it would be worth the peace and quiet.... :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to take some pics and the batteries were dead...i will charge them and pull the wheel, i am not sure if my macro will get close enough for detail though... :confused:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
skaboots - nice. But does sound a bit like a 'band-aid' fix, eh?

For about the same time and effort (and a LOT less $$ than an OEM replacement) you can replace that cow bell with a rotor that doesn't ring.

Several retailers have 'em. You're looking for an EBC part #MD615

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"For about the same time and effort (and a LOT less $$ than an OEM replacement) you can replace that cow bell with a rotor that doesn't ring"

thats like buying a new door instead of weather stripping it... :p

·
Registered
162 Posts
skaboots said:
A couple of weeks ago as i was planning my now ill fated trip and doing all the cool stuff you do during those planning times i decided to try and fix the rear brake rattlin disc from rattlin...while i had the wheel off i rotated the disc and saw that the gap was only about a 16th or so. I decided to try some RV high temp silicone. The trick is getting it into the gap(s). I used the sharp end of a 6" ziptie to dab and press the silicone into the crack all the way around the disk from the wheel side. I made sure to keep pressure on it as i turned it. It was slow but when i was done it had a nice very thin bead in the gap with just a bit extra squeezed in at each rivet.....a couple hundred miles later, in high 90's and braking normally (no rain yet), my silicone is still intact and i have not heard a rattle or peep from the disk....time will tell. Even if i had to do this once a year, or during every tire change it would be worth the peace and quiet.... :D

If I were you I'd do this ROTORPANDECTOMY

after 10,000+ miles still no noise and stope fantastic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PHP:
If I were you I'd do this ROTORPANDECTOMY
Why ? it aint broke !! Just needed a little attention is all. :p

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
skaboots said:
thats like buying a new door instead of weather stripping it... :p
Well, yea - to take that analogy further you could say it's about like weather striping a screen door <Baddda BING! I'm here all week, try the shrimp!>.

Basically the fasteners used on the OEM rotors are a poor design. It's broke. So, you can pack it fulla goop every now and then, or you can fix it proper like with a fancy new rotor. Many have bought new OEM rotors in an attempt to fix the 'cow bell' - only to have it reappear after time. The EBC rotor simply don't ring and it's a bargain to boot.

Your ride dude! Totally up to you. Enjoy!

·
Registered
835 Posts
rotor rattle

I have a noise on my 05 Lt. When does the rear rotor rattle or when do you notice it the most?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine rattled at slow speeds over bumps, if you grab the disk from the rear and wiggle it you will know if it is the rotor, there will be a slight bit of play and it will make a little noise.

I think i heard my injectors rattling the other day when it was hot out...how to fix ? :confused: :p should i change them or the motor... :p

·
Registered
437 Posts
skaboots said:
It appears that you may still be within warranty. Mine were doing the same exact thing......took it in and had it verified by one of the tech's...they ordered me a new rotor set-up, and even got me new pads!! Went back in a week later and had it all done in just a few hours. Hit your dealer and see what they're willing to do...........

Pat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts