BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Clymer manuel as states as recommended by BMW to replace with new the two mounting bolts that hold the disc to the final drive. Is this really neccessary or just reusing, locititing, and torqueing them enough?

Let's here those opinions especially anyone that has reused them

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am guilty.
Torqued em back in..
Did not know I needed to change them...
and I am thinking that I did not get that done when the BMW place did my brakes at 12k as they had to remove the rotor and fix it.....

hmmmmm.. I say hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Maybe not the right thing to do, but I visually inspected and re-used mine. I ride like the old man I am. If I was a gear banger and into the throttle type of rider, I would have replaced them.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,922 Posts
I don't know since all they do is hold it on when the wheel is off - why? You still have the five lug bolts that transfer all that braking action to the wheel.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, ya'll re-enforced my own opinion. I will reuse.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
theoldone said:
The Clymer manuel as states as recommended by BMW to replace with new the two mounting bolts that hold the disc to the final drive. Is this really neccessary or just reusing, locititing, and torqueing them enough?

I wondered why the Clymer said not to reuse them too. Thanks for asking the question. I'm not sure we got the "why" answered yet though! I'm in the process of putting on a used FD and thought I'd ask the dealer mechanic if he knows why they can't be reused with a little dab of blue on them.

Maybe they get hot over time and weakens/ makes brittle, the screw? Just thinking outloud.

Vern :bmw:

·
Registered
260 Posts
theoldone said:

The BMW manual also says to replace them. I've replaced them once, and loctite them once when I didn't feel like ordering another set, I checked the torque the last time I took the tire off and nothing has given so???

I'll probably loctite again when the time comes as long as the hex holes stay good.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I for one fail to see the reason for replacing a perfectly good piece of hardware, so I have re-used them more than once! And they have yet to fall off!

John

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have always reused them on my RT. I did replace them on my LT front because one was galled and the threads were damaged.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I reuse these and other bolts as well. But before I reinstall the bolts I use a wire wheel to remove any Loctite that might interfere with the torquing...........I wrench for a living..... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
It might be that when they are installed properly , the bolt stretches . Like the bolts that hold the clutch together , drive shaft on the old air heads...Stuff like that .

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Patric said:
It might be that when they are installed properly , the bolt stretches . Like the bolts that hold the clutch together , drive shaft on the old air heads...Stuff like that .

Of the answers so far on this thread, this one makes the most sense to me. I believe the hole these srew inot is only deep enough for a non stretched screw.

You think?

I see the dealer today or tomorrow and I'll ask. If I get a good answer, I'll post it here.

Vern :bmw:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the disc/ABS wheel carrier off to find the cowbells; screws came out easily; the dealer must have had them out as there were remains of blue gloop. Loosened with an Allen Key; socket drive not needed. Seems to me they hold the item on till the wheel's back on and the wheel bolts compression resist braking; those screws never would, new or old. So i used 'em again!! Fixed the cowbells with a squeeze of clear bath sealer in the non loaded side of all the rivets; it's worked so far.
Your decision!
Tony.
Yarm, UK.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Tony,

I think you did fine.

I was at my dealer today and they said they thought it was a liability issue to use new screws.

So, if you/I reuse the screws, it's no big deal, I'd say.

They are $2.25 each so next time I'm reusing the old ones with a dab of blue on the threads.

Got my used FD on and ready for a ride tomorrow. YeeHaa :bmw:

·
Registered
702 Posts
On my several LTs I've had the rotors off many times. Personally, since I have had to drill & extract some screws on which the heads stripped out, I think that preventing cumulative damage to the heads is the best reason to replace them.

Heck, once, when I stripped the heads of both of them and didin't have any spares, I rode without them for several thousand miles. It seems the lug bolts did an OK job of holding the rotor in place. :)

GB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts