BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just reinstalled my rear diff. Made it 92200 miles. Started seeing flakes about 6k miles ago. Put 2 new tires on recently and after new tires I could tell I had some bearing noise or roughness. I know a lot of folks say it comes with out warning. Drained the diff again and more flakes. Noise was mostly on drive side of gears went away on coast. Sent it to Saddleman last Wednesday UPS ground and he had it Friday. Showed up on my step this Wed. Not a bad turn a round as it went from IN too NC and back. He said crown bearing was just starting to go and pinion race was loose but looked good for the miles. Test drove already and my noise is gone. Did change trans lube also and drain plug looked good. Ready for another 92k miles. Big thank you to Saddleman and UPS for the quick turn a round.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Just reinstalled my rear diff. Made it 92200 miles. Started seeing flakes about 6k miles ago. Put 2 new tires on recently and after news tire I could tell I had some bearing noise or roughness. I know a lot of folks say it comes with out warning. Drained the diff again and more flakes. Noise was mostly on drive side of gears went away on coast. Sent it to Saddleman last Wednesday UPS ground and he had it Friday. Showed up on my step this Wed. Not a bad turn a round as it went from IN too NC and back. He said crown bearing was just starting to go and pinion race was loose but looked good for the miles. Test drove already and my noise is gone. Did change trans lube also and drain plug looked good. Ready for another 92k miles. Big thank you to Saddleman and UPS for the quick turn a round.
If I was going to have mine done by anyone, it would be Dave.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$436.00. It's a piece of cake to remove and reinstall. I serviced mine every 12k miles until the 1st flakes showed up.

·
Registered
694 Posts
$436.00. It's a piece of cake to remove and reinstall......
I had Dave rebuild my FD summer 2015. The process for me was not very difficult with the assistance of the videos listed for drilling weep hole. See the sticky on top of LT page.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
$400 + But. Theres not a dealer in the world that will rebuild it,and shim it proper like Dave does for the price he charges. And it's simple to remove and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yep. Dave is the best. He rebuilt mine.Were lucky to have him.

Reactions: Foiler1

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Have a 2009 rear drive sitting in a box - rebuilt by Dave, in late 2015, and waiting for the flakes to show up on my 2009. If they never do I will pass on to others . . . when the occasion permits!! :grin:

Reactions: katnapinn

·
Registered
25 Posts
How do I get in touch with Saddleman? I lost my rear on my K1200 LT last night.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,927 Posts
Just send him a PM here to Saddleman

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know of two more he is getting when it gets cold..

Neither with apparent problems. Both extremely low mileage final drives.....peace of mind means a lot to me. Especially after I had TWO fail in less than 13K miles in 2001........
At the time there was "no fix"..........

I know next year I intend on a southwest "tour".........sitting at home will be a boxed FD with only the address needed to ship......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts