BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

rear caliper repair

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SeattlePiR8 
#1 ·
I recently changed rear pads and rotor. While trying to get the pistons back in the caliper to install pads one of the pistons came out as well as a small amount of fluid. Put the piston back in and had no problems for about 500 miles then started loosing pressure to rear brake. I could pump them up but wouldn't hold long. Now there is a leak coming from the caliper. I just ordered a repair kit. I have never done a repair like this before. It looks like the kit comes with 4 pistons and eight seals. How big of a job is replacing the seals and pistons? Is this procedure detailed in the Clymer manual? What tips and tricks can anyone give?

#4 ·
not hard to do
fold a cloth a couple of times and put between the pistons blow compressed air into the fluid chamber (gently) to pop out the pistons (keep your fingers clear) remove the seals,, check the chambers if ok then.. coat seals & pistons in fresh brake fluid and refit. note. push pistons back in all the way fit pads fit back on bike and bleed, hose down caliper and brakes with tap water to remove excess brake fluid.
straight forward just be carefull not to get fluid on paint if you do hose off with water asap
good luck

#5 ·
Axle said:
not hard to do
fold a cloth a couple of times and put between the pistons blow compressed air into the fluid chamber (gently) to pop out the pistons (keep your fingers clear) remove the seals,, check the chambers if ok then.. coat seals & pistons in fresh brake fluid and refit. note. push pistons back in all the way fit pads fit back on bike and bleed, hose down caliper and brakes with tap water to remove excess brake fluid.
straight forward just be carefull not to get fluid on paint if you do hose off with water asap
good luck
A grease gun fitted to the bleed nipple will pop those pistons out . Don,t worry about the grease as it will wash out .
regards numbnuts in blighty .

#7 ·
How'd you make out with the rear caliper rebuild? I'm about to tackle all the calipers on my 2000 LT. I have stuck pistons forward and leaky pistons rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.