BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to clean my pistons on my rear caliper and one of them came out and brake fluid went everywhere. I pushed it back in and am now trying to bleed the brakes and can't seem to get the caliper to take any fluid at all.

I have speedbleeders on the caliper, and the funnel on the abs unit. the funnel is full and when I open the bleeder and push on the brake, all i get is air coming out of the bleeder and the fluid level in the funnel doesn't move. I've got the funnel on the right side of the unit, which is the reservoir for the rear brakes. What am I doing wrong. it's like there's a big air pocket in the abs reservoir and it won't let the fluid from the funnel in.

Not sure what to do from here. Can't ride it anywhere to get it fixed. anyone have any suggestions?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
The reservoir that feeds the rear caliper is under the rear seat on the right side. Pull the read seat and you will see 2 reservoirs, one will most likely be dry.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the beemerboneyard filler fuller attached to the rear reservoir and it won't take any fluid. It acts like its full but it can't be. and when I try to bleed it it won't push any fluid through the line.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Try a mightymac vacuum, at the caliper.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to run to the store and buy one. If that doesn't work then I guess it's a tow truck to the dealer, I hate to admit defeat but I'm stumped on this one. I've bled the brakes before and it's as straight forward as can be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mityvac didn't work. It won't draw fluid from the abs reservoir. thanks to those with suggestions. I guess I'm going to punt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
JeffD
Been there and done that, do not know that much about ABS etc. tired bleeding ended up with no fluid movement and no brakes on the LT. Took it to dealer.(Trailer) $214.00 and happy with out come.
Stopping is important thing.

Dennis

·
Miles of Smiles
1,055 Posts
A 2006 LT. Double check the ABS reservoir is the correct one. Rear is the shorter ie smaller
one. Out board
Also maybe remove the plastic filter under the cap. At least to check there is fluid in there.

Just a thought. You have the key on. Will hear the ABS motor running when you press the rear brake pedal. Also when you pull the front brake lever. You shouldn't need a mighty vac,
the pump will do the work.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
That funnel has a very small diameter and it is easy to get a fluid lock (fluid fills the funnel but does not go into the reservoir). Loosen the funnel slightly and watch for the fluid to drop. The trick is to pour very slowly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll retry the funnel later this week. I ordered another one because the base of mine where they have epoxy holding the funnel stem to the nut broke loose and I thought maybe it was creating an air pocket or allowing air to be sucked in by the abs unit when powered.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
I find it helpful to cut the funnel about 1 inch above the cap and press on a suitable lenght of tubing. It makes the funnel much more fexlible in reaching alignment around the frame.

Also if you first manually fill the reservoir with a syringe and some tubing you will find less of an impact with the fluid lock on the funnel. (see my 05 addendum in the Technical Files area as it was all done then with out the funnel)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have anything useful regarding your bleeding problem but if you're having trouble with the filling adapter you might want to consider using a rubber stopper from McMaster-Carr (part # 9545K27). Push the funnel stem through the hole and screw into the reservoir hole. We used this when flushing my brakes on Saturday and it worked beautifully.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts