BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway,

I ordered a 2nd hand Caliper from Motor Works, very quick to arrive, and had Cookie booked in to come over today to strip of the old Caliper and put on the new one. Had it planned and hoped that we wouldn't end up with an ABS light staying on the whole time.

So this morning (Cookie was due around 4 pm), feeling rather brave, thought I'd loosen a few bolts and do a little general cleaning around the Caliper. To cut a long story short, and with losts of WD 40 and pushing the pistons in and the using the bike to push them back out again, after 3 hour of soaking and working them, I now have the rear end re-assembled and the brakes are working fine on the original Caliper

Cookie arrives 10 mins after I'd test riden the bike. Sorry Cookie, thanks for making the trip down, it was nice to meet you.

So the plan is I drop the bike in for it's Annual MOT, and will arrange a trip up to Cookie's for an all fluids tech session, (date to be arranged)

So here I am with a Caliper I don't now need! quick call to Motor Works, tell the nice lady (Yvonne I think) that I fixed it with out using the Caliper, and she said, send it back, and we will refund your money, or you can have a credit note. Fantastic service! I'll be shopping with them again, they do a full fluids kit (not water) for the LT which includes the Oil Filter and Wrench, shame I just bought a filter and oils, but they will keep till 6K Miles time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
With your being able to free up your stock caliper, I question WHERE the "Stuck" was at :confused:

If it was the pistons within the caliper because of internal moisture within brake fluid area your going to have a leaker before long IMO.

If just corrosion between brake pad and rotor locking them together, your going to be OK IMO.

WHAT WAS STUCK ????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
motorhead said:
WHAT WAS STUCK ????
The pads that came out were completly shot, and should have been replaced some time ago, almost down to bare metal. They were a bitch to get out, and seemed to be well and truly stuck to the pistons. After a little gentle hand pressure, I was able to ge them off. Having done that, cleaned up the exposed pistons and then worked them in and out. The timings were because I was soaking the thing in WD40 to make sure every thing was nice and clean, and didn't rush anything.

The pads in the postition they were in, were binding against the disk, and here thats an immediate MOT Test failure. I've taken a very close look at the side of the pistons, and there is no obvious damage or pitting to them, so I'm happy I'm not gonna get fluid leaking out round the sides. if I do, I'll strip it out and replace them. Having done this today, I'm a little more confident about tinckering with the mechanics. Thow any Electrics at me and I'm like a pig in shit, happy to delve right in there.

Edit - I'm going to get the brake fluid replace in the next couple of weeks. Already have the other fluids in hand.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top