BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and the 2003 K1200LT, 24,000 miles. Would appreciate some experienced advice. Thought I may have needed new rear brakes pads but after pulling the caliper brakes pads are in good condition but I noticed that the rear rotor is loose but as far as I can tell there is no way to tighten it like the frt rotors. What is the correct way to fix this or does it have to go to a dealer? Thank, Gary

·
Registered
787 Posts
There was a recall on the squealing rotors but I'm not sure what years it covered. I had my 2007 LT squealing rear rotor changed at no charge in 2009. Bike was still under warranty but I think it covered some older bikes just out of warranty maybe 2005 and up. Anyway it wouldn't hurt to investigate it.

Found this info on rotor recall:

http://www.nt-guru.com/bmw/k1200lt/Service Bulletins/Rear.Brake.Squeals.pdf

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Everyone here is giving you advise as if you were asking about a noisy rear brake and if you were, their advise would be correct. However, since you only asked about a "loose" rotor, the correct answer is: That is how it is designed. Nothing to fix, unless of course, you have the cow-bell issue.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Everyone here is giving you advise as if you were asking about a noisy rear brake and if you were, their advise would be correct. However, since you only asked about a "loose" rotor, the correct answer is: That is how it is designed. Nothing to fix, unless of course, you have the cow-bell issue.
What he said, the rear is a "floating disk" designed that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts