BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, looking for the collective wisdom after not quite finding what I need in the FAQ's.

16,000km on an '05 LT, found out on Sat halfway through a 500km ride that the rear brake was giving a "crunch, crunch, crunch" noise as I braked... so hard to describe a noise, eh!
Found the rear rotor somewhat scored, so after getting home (not using the foot-brake) pulled the rear caliper off. A small eliptical bead that may have been a rock fell out, and then found that there were pretty much no pads left. Had no idea that they wouldn't last that long.
Queried cost of new rotor (AU$534) plus another $100 for pads, plus labour.
Whats the thoughts on just how much scoring could be put up with without replacing the rotor? There seemed to be a small bead of buildup on the rotor I could see and feel with my finger, so presumably this would cut into a new pad, but I'm hoping I could just get away with a pad change in the short term.
Thoughts on scoring and also pad life??
I do ride city traffic everyday, so lots of braking.

Also, I did find the following statement on FAQ's, and wondered how many (05's?) have successfully argued for rotor replacements based on the squeal, and whether or not excessive wear may have been a considered factor?
UPDATE: There is a new service bulletin from BMW that addresses this issue. Several folks have had their rear brake rotors replaced with one of a new design by their dealers under warranty. If your brakes make noise, try asking your dealer fix it per the service bulletin.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update...

Managed to get a couple hours off work and took the LT to the nearest dealer (Procycles, St Peters).
The first Service Counter guy had a look at the rotor and said, yes, can get away with just new pads. The beaded buildup was from metal on metal which had welded itself to the rotor.
He ran the bike into the workshop for a service tech to look at, and the Service Manager also went out to ask the tech about it.
2 minutes later the SM popped his head back in the door and said "We'll replace the disk under BMW warranty, its rattly, but you'll have to pay for new pads!" :) :) :)
So I'm happy, will be fixed for about $100 ( I hope). Phewww!

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, Chris. Just check those brake pads regularly to avoid damaging the new rotor as they wear.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ken.
Yes, note to self... STOP enjoying myself riding and start paying attention....!!!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
That's great news! My '05 throws a lot of brake dust.. more than I ever recall seeing on any other M/C..

So, I'll need to check my pads to make sure, but at the 12K MILE check they looked to be in good shape.

There's one reason to "frequent" your local BMW dealer for your "accessories"... nice to have them nearby, eh?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Extra $$ for toys then??????

cws said:
Found the rear rotor somewhat scored, so after getting home (not using the foot-brake) pulled the rear caliper off. A small eliptical bead that may have been a rock fell out, and then found that there were pretty much no pads left. Had no idea that they wouldn't last that long.
Queried cost of new rotor (AU$534) plus another $100 for pads, plus labour.
Whats the thoughts on just how much scoring could be put up with without replacing the rotor? . If your brakes make noise, try asking your dealer fix it per the service bulletin.[/i]
Woohoooooo Chris with BMW actually coming to the party to replace your rear disc....this of course equates to you telling Kerry that "hmmmmmmm $534 for a new disc"....but forgetting to say "BMW will replace the disc"...which means in the wash of things you now get to spend $534 to buy some toys ....hehehheheheh

Now what could $A534 get that you would like???

cheers

Phill....riding partner with CWS but checks his brake pads himself!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts