BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brakes- Noticed a little rattling coming off the rear disc. Can move it back a forth a little. Bike as only got 8k miles. I have read threads on this and I believe there is a fix? Also has rear brake squeal. Off and on? Are new or a different pad in order? Pointer or suggestions would be great.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Known issue. Get an EBC rear rotor, and a new set of EBC rear pads. That'll fix it. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. And until I do so is there any danger?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
No it is a floating rotor. Just may have to watch for stray bulls when it starts sounding like a cow bell.;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
hifiman said:
Brakes- Noticed a little rattling coming off the rear disc. Can move it back a forth a little. Bike as only got 8k miles. I have read threads on this and I believe there is a fix? Also has rear brake squeal. Off and on? Are new or a different pad in order? Pointer or suggestions would be great.
Only 8K miles? Get the dealer to do something about it if your under warranty. They just got a new service bulletin on the noise and I believe there is a newer disk. I did the EBC because I was out of warranty and the dealer said they received the new bulletin just after I was in there. It was more focused around the pad squeal than the disk rattle. It would help to keep BMW in the loop, especially if it has gone out of spec so early. I didn't have mine looked at until 24K, by then it was way out of spec and very short on what I would expect out of the life of a rotor.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have had "the rattle" twice. The dealer replaced the rotor under warranty and it did not fix it. Believe it or not, the issue was the rear tire had worn and "Cupped" setting off some kind of weird harmonic thing. Was worse when the bike was leaned in a turn.

When I replaced the rear tire, the rattle went away.
(Honnest, it really did go away)

I still think the EBC rotor is the (more) permanent fix.

Anyone have a part number for the EBC rotor and a detailed set of instructions on replacement???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts